Opening new areas.

Want to hear the latest rumours about Phobos? Or just want to talk with others about Phobos? Enter the Common Room!
Agent Green
Tester
Character: Agent Green
Clan: Order of the Beetle

October 26, 2013, 10:12:22 PM

Things need testing, instead of opening new areas is it not easier to build a test map?

Then you don't have to ruin your work and we can test different parts of the game. Different monster AI, 3 tier class and so on. Changing things weekly :axe: and seeing what works.

Right now I am standing in Timari with nothing to test really. Not even what crashes the server/client. Just the gameplay.

Maybe I think this idea is simpler than what you actually would have to do but I don't know.
voltarn
Tester

October 26, 2013, 10:54:13 PM

Well, It would take time to make a new detailed area, just for testing.. As you dont want to make something bad like only grass, some trees, monsters here and there. It would just make the game look bad. It's better to just expand the map, with areas they already have.. they could just delete the things they dont want us to discover.

EDIT: I mean they probably could make a new detailed area, and use It when the game Is finished too. But I think they got better things to worry about than expanding the overall map, at the moment. But by Just using the areas they already have and make minor changes to It, (so we dont discover everything) would probably speed up the process of the game getting finished.
Last edited by voltarn on October 26, 2013, 11:10:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.
Agent Green
Tester

October 26, 2013, 11:06:46 PM

I see no problem with simple maps made for testing specific things.
voltarn
Tester

October 26, 2013, 11:26:23 PM

Agent Green wrote:I see no problem with simple maps made for testing specific things.
Well, Im not gonna argue.. This Is just my opinion. I think It would make for a faster release.
Agent Green
Tester

October 27, 2013, 08:17:23 AM

Sure it would make for a faster release if they just launched it but I would prefer a good release not a quick messy one.
PhysX
Tester

October 27, 2013, 09:10:05 AM

Mate how could we possibly test the original map itself and make sure that there aren't any flaws in it? This is not a good idea at all.
Agent Green
Tester

October 27, 2013, 11:05:07 AM

Sure, there is no way to test the actual map. What we could do is test the gameplay for monsters, PvP, 3 tier class and all skills to balance it.
Nordberg
Tester
Character: Johnald Skullsplitter
Clan: Akai'Zhar

October 27, 2013, 05:18:42 PM

I would just open up a lot of areas but disabling a lot of quest. I can see how they don't want everyone in the beta to know all about every quest but atm we're not really beta testing Phobos, we're beta testing Timar since most bugs are actually content/map wise.
Rob
Administrator

October 27, 2013, 05:49:43 PM

Sorry, but we're not going to open up other areas just yet.

We first need to get the most major problems fixed. Content bugs/typos are fixed very easily. Programming bugs (or missing features, which is what a lot of bug reports actually are) often take a little longer to fix. Once the most major problems have been solved, we'll move onto the next area. This keeps our workload sensible, and reduces the number of resets we need to have during beta.

We understand that you've probably explored almost everything that Timar has to offer, and want some new challenges (and new bugs). But unfortunately, right now it wouldn't help our progress.
Celix
Tester
Character: Celix

October 27, 2013, 08:40:27 PM

Rob wrote:Sorry, but we're not going to open up other areas just yet.

We first need to get the most major problems fixed. Content bugs/typos are fixed very easily. Programming bugs (or missing features, which is what a lot of bug reports actually are) often take a little longer to fix. Once the most major problems have been solved, we'll move onto the next area. This keeps our workload sensible, and reduces the number of resets we need to have during beta.

We understand that you've probably explored almost everything that Timar has to offer, and want some new challenges (and new bugs). But unfortunately, right now it wouldn't help our progress.
What are the problems that need to be fixed? Do you perhaps have an estimated time for completion?
Sir Vitor
Tester
Character: Sir Vitor

October 28, 2013, 01:59:04 AM

Celix wrote:
Rob wrote:Sorry, but we're not going to open up other areas just yet.

What are the problems that need to be fixed? Do you perhaps have an estimated time for completion?
Dude, we are at Phobos, should've know already there is no thing as estimated time xD
Whitehat
Tester
Clan: Crazy Motherfuckers

October 28, 2013, 02:16:45 PM

Although we can have a little fun by testing some specific features or finding some bugs, like I do :yes: , we are not here to only have fun. Mainly, we are here to help.

We still are not clients. We are volunteers. We are contributors. I believe that we are helping them because all of us trust them, and we do want the computer game Phobos to be special.

In fact, the Agent Green's suggestion is the ideal way to test very (very) specific features. He's not (totally :P ) crazy. But, for now, we just need time and love.

The future already is waiting for us. Be patient, dear friends.

With love,
Whitehat.