Navigation?

Want to hear the latest rumours about Phobos? Or just want to talk with others about Phobos? Enter the Common Room!
GodOfGnar
Tester
Character: Tricepticus

November 17, 2013, 02:10:34 AM

Is their a way to find your way around? Like a map item or a client mini map?

I like the mystery but I still feel that Phobos needs some form of maps, whether it's an in-game item or some kind of minimap. Maybe not something on screen at all times but something you can bring up by going to the options menu.

Sadly, A dungeon crawler MMORPG without any sort of map will demotivate many from playing. frankly it gets very confusing. this is one point in the game that needs to be fixed IMO
Stian
Tester

November 17, 2013, 02:20:44 AM

I suggest picking up a pen and a piece of paper and drawing your own maps! :D There are no plans of implementing a mini-map, and I strongly doubt there ever will be. There will, however, be larger maps available at some point in the future.
GodOfGnar
Tester

November 17, 2013, 02:31:53 AM

o,o Oh! Not sure how I feel about that idea. We'll see :P
Scrrheat
Tester
Character: Falconsbane
Clan: Order of the Beetle

November 17, 2013, 03:42:16 AM

Having no minimap gives an even more realistic feel of things. If Adventuring in Phobos is attempting to provide the "real feeling", this is a very good way to start. Give a compass, yes, but as far as those mini maps and overview maps, take em out. Allow us as players to develop a sense of directions ourselves by landmarks and such. This adds much much more to the exploration factor, and when we actually do run across a really sweet dungeon in the world, we would give other players directions instead of saying "it's there on the map."
I say this because DAoC was one of my first MMORPGs (along with Tibia), and at release, there was no such thing as a map. To this day I can still navigate most of Hibernia in my head due to having to learn and memorize where everything was. It just makes it feel like a real place where you can describe where you've been with words instead of a map.

In my personal opinion, the same can apply to chatting... Take out any type of broadcasting or sending of tells, and put in mailboxes and delivery men/women. Allow shout to travel a certain radius, and that's it. =) Make it realistic, it's a lot more fun to have to work for what you want to accomplish. If you have an armor crafting store... Mail out ads and give directions to where your store is. Allow players to put up advertising signs.
I just think the further you get from what you see everywhere else, the better and more unique. Just because a features make games easier for the players, does not make that feature a good idea.

I personally play mmorpgs for the challenge, not for the easiness. I want quests to be hard to figure out, dungeons a series of dark mazes, and achievements actually earned. If everyone has what you earned, is it really worth bragging about or even doing?
Zhukka
Tester
Character: Korcha

November 17, 2013, 04:34:47 AM

I'm not sure, but I think there will be a map, at least staff have said so in the past. Long ago someone said they wanted to implement a map similar to how maps work in diablo II, press tab and it pops up.

This could of course all have changed and I haven't read all of the posts on the forums so I could also be totally wrong.

I do however agree with you that maps would be a great addition to the game. I understand why some people would prefer the game without it, it feels more dangerous and adventure-like to explore. Sadly the lack of map is pretty annoying in the long run.
GodOfGnar
Tester

November 17, 2013, 04:40:32 AM

Scrrheat wrote:Having no minimap gives an even more realistic feel of things. If Adventuring in Phobos is attempting to provide the "real feeling", this is a very good way to start. Give a compass, yes, but as far as those mini maps and overview maps, take em out. Allow us as players to develop a sense of directions ourselves by landmarks and such. This adds much much more to the exploration factor, and when we actually do run across a really sweet dungeon in the world, we would give other players directions instead of saying "it's there on the map."
I say this because DAoC was one of my first MMORPGs (along with Tibia), and at release, there was no such thing as a map. To this day I can still navigate most of Hibernia in my head due to having to learn and memorize where everything was. It just makes it feel like a real place where you can describe where you've been with words instead of a map.

In my personal opinion, the same can apply to chatting... Take out any type of broadcasting or sending of tells, and put in mailboxes and delivery men/women. Allow shout to travel a certain radius, and that's it. =) Make it realistic, it's a lot more fun to have to work for what you want to accomplish. If you have an armor crafting store... Mail out ads and give directions to where your store is. Allow players to put up advertising signs.
I just think the further you get from what you see everywhere else, the better and more unique. Just because a features make games easier for the players, does not make that feature a good idea.

I personally play mmorpgs for the challenge, not for the easiness. I want quests to be hard to figure out, dungeons a series of dark mazes, and achievements actually earned. If everyone has what you earned, is it really worth bragging about or even doing?
I definitely see your point. I think that maybe city maps or island/area in game maps would be a good edition tho. maybe not show dungeons but just the landscape just to help a bit whilst keeping mystery. And not even have a "player is here" point. Would you agree this would be a good compromise?
GodOfGnar
Tester

November 17, 2013, 04:45:36 AM

Zhukka wrote:I'm not sure, but I think there will be a map, at least staff have said so in the past. Long ago someone said they wanted to implement a map similar to how maps work in diablo II, press tab and it pops up.

This could of course all have changed and I haven't read all of the posts on the forums so I could also be totally wrong.

I do however agree with you that maps would be a great addition to the game. I understand why some people would prefer the game without it, it feels more dangerous and adventure-like to explore. Sadly the lack of map is pretty annoying in the long run.

Completely agree. Is mysterious and feels dangerous but gets annoying fast.
Celix
Tester
Character: Celix

November 17, 2013, 01:45:46 PM

This has been brought up alot of times before. There will be no minimap in the game, though there will be other types of maps, most likely hand-drawn ones with not alot of detail (see the map in Library on the Phobos website) that you can open up in-game through items or something else.

This is what the staff said last about it atleast.
J-Rolla
Tester

November 20, 2013, 10:17:46 PM

Having no mini map is an interesting idea indeed and it makes exploring much more dangerous and enjoyable. However when you get Max Lvl and after you have been to an area 1000 times or 10k+ times it would at least be nice to have a quest perhaps to get that part of the map added so that you could at least click it to walk past the noobie monsters ect. What it boils down to is what is going to be plain tedious and what is going to be fun. I don't see any harm in it as long as you are a experienced explorer. And ofc I know there will be boats for noble accounts to avoid some of the more tedious walking through noobie areas so I will be looking forward to that for sure. I have faith in the staff to provide us with a compass or some sort of maps sooner or later because what kind of rpg doesn't have maps? Honestly though Im looking forward to finding some treasure maps! :king:
Celix
Tester
Character: Celix

November 21, 2013, 10:42:30 AM

I don't see how a compass could be useful. North is always up, south always down etc
Robbert
Administrator

November 21, 2013, 12:22:53 PM

Perhaps he's referring to the compass of jack sparrow? :P
Gavriel
Tester

November 22, 2013, 12:59:09 AM

:moustache: Maybe something like this:
Attachments
map.jpg
map.jpg (460.06 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Thor
The Old Dwarf
Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood

November 22, 2013, 08:40:03 AM

Except that I don't think we'll include the player's location on the map.