Making Maps for Phobos

Want to hear the latest rumours about Phobos? Or just want to talk with others about Phobos? Enter the Common Room!
Dima
Tester
Character: Skyrr

April 18, 2017, 09:25:58 AM

Hey people,

i have an idea. the development of phobos takes very long. the reason is theat the developers have not much time. so why dont we help them where we can?

i was thinking about making maps for new areas.

there is a program called RME, it contains all tibia sprites and you can use it to create your ownlandscapes. on otland.net you can post the maps you created so they can be viewed by other people. many of these maps are very very creative, they are by far better than what cip is doing. i always wished, that many of these maps could be added in real tibia.

so what does it have to do with phobos?

i belive there is a possibility, that there are few very talented map-creaters among us (i am sorry,but i am not one of these :/ ).

so why not to let them help the developers to create landscapes for future phobos updates?

its not hard at all. they can make landscapes and at the end the developers will decide if they add them into game or not. they can also change them as they want and they may get all rights for it. so why not?

maybe there are some very creative people among us who can create cool maps and make the development of phobos faster?

cheers

what do you think?
Isak Sworder
Tester

April 18, 2017, 06:29:25 PM

Imagine if they hired two best mappers in otland, they would finish the map in a month or maybe less, but they would not make it perfect as the phobos staff wants. And they have learned to map with tibias sprites so would make more sense if Rob continues with the mapping, and maybe get one extra.
Sir Vitor
Tester
Character: Sir Vitor

April 18, 2017, 07:12:24 PM

Rob has a very delicated precision on how he does his maps, and that is necessary for Phobos to have a map that is concise and follows the concept estabilished by the developers.
They can't simply accept new mappers like that. They would first have to build trust on them, then adapt then to the way Rob does his mapping and to the mindset of the developers. And that is something that usually takes a long time, or doesn't work at all. For it to work you would need someone that really matches Rob's mindset. It is possible to find someone like that, but not easy.

All that goes on top of that person being a skilled mapper.

By the way, Rob mentioned that Till is helping him with the map. I'd guess the bottleneck isn't the map but the programming part?
Chaosweaver
Tester

April 20, 2017, 07:59:33 PM

It's not a good idea to let the map be accessible to other people than Myth staff, however I do think that releasing the map editor to the public could be of some value. People publishes their creations and the greatest works could be modified by Rob to fit the world and its lore. A downside is that they would have to thoroughly examine the maps for abuses, because you can't trust that people won't take advantage and hide items etc. Depending on the time that takes it might not be worth it, and the risk that something may be overlooked is always there. At the very least it could facilitate recruitment, but in my opinion the big bottleneck is the programming. (Not saying we don't need more content!) I don't know if it's a good or bad idea, all I know is playing community created maps for Portal 2 from the Steam Workshop is very addicting. xD
Lans
Tester
Character: Lans

April 22, 2017, 03:11:56 PM

I think the main reason Rob never asked for help is because of the lore.

We know a few pieces of Erasia (all from the books) but only the Staff knows whats behind everything.
Thor
The Old Dwarf
Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood

April 27, 2017, 01:46:18 PM

Mapping is not the bottleneck. :moustache:
Albert
Tester
Character: Belmor

April 27, 2017, 06:24:12 PM

I look forward to a new update.
Sir Vitor
Tester
Character: Sir Vitor

April 27, 2017, 06:35:11 PM

Albert wrote:I look forward to a new update.
I look forward to still being alive when this game releases xD
Albert
Tester

April 28, 2017, 05:05:38 AM

Sir Vitor wrote:
Albert wrote:I look forward to a new update.
I look forward to still being alive when this game releases xD
I think they live drunk.
Rencoret
Tester
Character: Durin
Clan: Ironfist

April 30, 2017, 05:31:42 AM

Don't we all, my dear Albert?
Albert
Tester

April 30, 2017, 07:10:54 AM

Rencoret wrote:Don't we all, my dear Albert?
HAha!
kanonhanzo
Tester

January 29, 2018, 01:58:23 PM

:like: :like: :like: