It is currently November 21, 2018, 02:55:29 AM

Making a phobos-like game 
Newcomer

Character: None
Clan: None
Post Making a phobos-like game
Hey, I would like to learn how to make a phobos-like game in a directx9 engine.. I don't want to be too serious with the game etc. I talked to some people and came to the conclusion that Code::Blocks is a good program to use. I learned how to make a game in a console window but I don't think people would want to play that :p Now I need to take the next step and actually creating a game with my own sprites and so on. I don't know how to start, don't know where to find any good tutorials etc.. And no, google's not my friend it seems >,<!

So just a question to ZC or other people who might know, how did You get started and do You by any chance know any tutorials that could help me out? I just want to learn how to create games like these (2D mmorpg 45 degree perspective) for educational purpose. What programs should I use excluding Code::Blocks (If it's not the only one to use that is).

Edit: When's this game going to be released btw, I've been waiting a while :P

Thanks in advance,

:)

December 01, 2008, 09:05:47 PM
Tester

Clan: Order of the Beetle
Post Re: Making a phobos-like game
It's all about teaching yourself. A 2D MMORPG is surely not an easy task, as you need to be good at networking, directx/opengl, encrypting and several other things. I suggest you start learning the basics of C++, as there is no way around them at all :p Just google for C++ beginner tutorials, that should do it ;)

December 01, 2008, 09:21:27 PM
Administrator

gamedev.net is your friend :)

December 01, 2008, 09:46:10 PM
Newcomer

Character: None
Clan: None
K-Seppi wrote:
It's all about teaching yourself. A 2D MMORPG is surely not an easy task, as you need to be good at networking, directx/opengl, encrypting and several other things. I suggest you start learning the basics of C++, as there is no way around them at all :p Just google for C++ beginner tutorials, that should do it ;)

I already know the basics as I stated in my previous post :p Now I need to learn the 'basics' (if there are any) of actually programming a directx/opengl game.

Thanks for the tip ZC, I'll check that website out :)

December 01, 2008, 09:52:52 PM