CHANGELOG - Legacy

The latest news, updates and information on the ongoing development of Phobos.
vantoco
Tester

June 05, 2016, 02:21:56 PM

:o it is alive again.
havy
Tester
Character: Havy Glory
Clan: Brotherhood Ruthless

June 05, 2016, 10:54:43 PM

ow great finaly updates !
Chaosweaver
Tester

June 06, 2016, 09:56:54 PM

This patch has been a big hit to melee damage. Swift strike is now a citizen spell and is basically another auto attack and crippling strike is more a supportive spell with its long cooldown and slowing effects (will be great for chasing in PvP). This means page/rogue/knight have to rely a lot more on regular weapon damage than before the update. I'm weaker now as rogue than I was as page.
Ryan The Alcomist
Tester
Character: Ryan The Alcomist
Clan: Deadline

June 07, 2016, 02:18:54 AM

Chaosweaver wrote:This patch has been a big hit to melee damage. Swift strike is now a citizen spell and is basically another auto attack and crippling strike is more a supportive spell with its long cooldown and slowing effects (will be great for chasing in PvP). This means page/rogue/knight have to rely a lot more on regular weapon damage than before the update. I'm weaker now as rogue than I was as page.
I agree, as knight my skills have gone up both 12 or more in both hammers and defense and im still hitting same or less than i was as page at 30 skills than now at 43 skills... also taking same amount of damage..

Seems we got short end of stick, i don't think their armor and Weapon damage formulas work correctly..

Ryan~
Xune
Tester

June 07, 2016, 07:27:51 AM

Lamp timers make me sad. I guess I'll have to go blind, because I can't afford lamps.
Dima
Tester
Character: Skyrr

June 26, 2016, 12:33:36 PM

i am wizard now and i got no atk spells!! cmon add some spells and the area n orth of milthron, i woud like to explore more!
Vegan
Tester

June 26, 2016, 01:30:08 PM

Dima wrote:i am wizard now and i got no atk spells!! cmon add some spells
You need to buy spells.
Rob wrote:Abilities may now be bought via shops at the Guilds of Learning in Timari and Empo Sar.
Empo Sar:

Avocado: hi
Thom: Greetings, Avocado. How may I help you?
Avocado: spells
Thom: Here, let me show you the abilities available to your
class.
Rob wrote:To learn abilities from now on, you simply drag the ability that you want to learn into your inventory.
Dima wrote:and the area n orth of milthron, i woud like to explore more!
Are you talking about Wirafal?
Spoiler: Click to show
Ents are waiting for you there :axe:
It's old out-of-date sprite.
Chaosweaver
Tester

June 27, 2016, 04:28:36 PM

I saw the fix in defense formula, but I don't understand what's changed.

From a spider:
17:01 gained 0 skill pool exp, training defense skill for 300 exp

No matter how much experience is added to the skill pool you train your skill for the same amount of experience. It doesn't matter if it's a rat or a hill giant it trains the skill for exactly the same amount. Swift strike = 1000exp, crippling strike = 3000exp, basic attack = 300exp and defense 300exp. Only the experience going into the skill pool is different, but what does it do exactly because to me it seems like it does nothing? Maybe it doesn't show up in the combat report? :confused:
knight legend
Tester

July 20, 2016, 01:43:30 PM

its alive

its good to know you guys havent given up yet
Rob
Administrator

July 21, 2016, 04:15:24 AM

Chaosweaver wrote:I saw the fix in defense formula, but I don't understand what's changed.

From a spider:
17:01 gained 0 skill pool exp, training defense skill for 300 exp

No matter how much experience is added to the skill pool you train your skill for the same amount of experience. It doesn't matter if it's a rat or a hill giant it trains the skill for exactly the same amount. Swift strike = 1000exp, crippling strike = 3000exp, basic attack = 300exp and defense 300exp. Only the experience going into the skill pool is different, but what does it do exactly because to me it seems like it does nothing? Maybe it doesn't show up in the combat report? :confused:
Sorry for not replying to this, I somehow missed it until now.

As you mention, many abilities add experience into the skill pool, and then also train a certain skill. But non-aggressive abilities do not do this. For example: the Fury ability will take experience out of the pool (if available) to train the support skill, but does not add any experience into the skill pool. This means that to train your support skill when using Fury, you have to have excess experience in the skill pool. And the only way to gain excess skill pool experience is to be using aggressive spells. Similarly, auto-attacking never adds more into the pool than it takes away. But when you have excess experience in the pool, then you will train skills at a much faster rate than you would if the pool was empty.

Why do we do this? Well, if we didn't, players would be able to train any of their skills outside of actual combat. This might seem a bit mean of us, but we just don't see AFK training as a positive thing. And by reducing the effectiveness of AFK training, it allowed us to increase the rate of skill learning through combat in normal hunting, because we don't have to compensate for the higher skills achieved by AKF trainer players.
Yes, I know that some players have been AFK training defence. This was severely reduced with an update on July 22nd 2016, and will be removed almost entirely soon enough.
I didn't want the creature you're attacking to influence the experience you gain when using abilities, because regardless of the creature, the mana used to cast an ability is always the same. And if you're using more mana (i.e. you're hunting harder creatures), then you should be getting better loot; which should compensate for the extra potion loss. Doing it like this also has the effect that it rewards even killing creatures much lower level than the player (creatures which don't give that player any level experience).

But really, the skill pool is not supposed to affect a player whilst hunting. Whilst hunting normally and using aggressive abilities, you will always have excess experience available in the skill pool. If you want to see more numbers (!), then try the console command "show skill pool" to see how much experience is currently in the pool. Note: the amount of experience in the pool does decrease quite quickly over time, at a rate of -20% every 10s.

Rob
Albert
Tester
Character: Belmor

July 22, 2016, 11:09:58 AM

When to add new abilities ?
Chaosweaver
Tester

July 22, 2016, 07:26:40 PM

Thanks for taking the time to explain this so we understand it better! I have a follow-up question though; you're saying we gain skills faster by using excess experience from the skill pool, but for example 'swift strike' gives the same amount of experience when using it whether you have experience in the pool or not (1000exp). Does this 'boost' not show up in the combat report or is this restricted to only a few abilities?
Rob
Administrator

July 23, 2016, 10:51:45 PM

Albert wrote:When to add new abilities ?
Not the next update, but probably the one after. The next update is focusing on monster balancing, various minor formula tweaks and some new areas.
Chaosweaver wrote:Thanks for taking the time to explain this so we understand it better! I have a follow-up question though; you're saying we gain skills faster by using excess experience from the skill pool, but for example 'swift strike' gives the same amount of experience when using it whether you have experience in the pool or not (1000exp). Does this 'boost' not show up in the combat report or is this restricted to only a few abilities?
Nope, the combat report is correct. You always get the same amount of experience from casting aggressive abilities. So swift strike will always give 1000 exp, and fire fist always gives you 3000 exp (but only if they do damage).

This is because if you're doing damage with aggressive abilities, then the calculations assume that you're in combat. And if you're using mana in combat, you should be rewarded for using that mana by training your skills.

Since training via auto-attacks and defending against attacks doesn't use mana, these work slightly differently. If you auto-attack or defend against a monster, the experience added into the pool will be adjusted depending on a comparison between your own stats and the stats of the monster. Because of this adjustment, if the skill pool is empty, you won't get the maximum amount of experience. But if you are using abilities (and so the skill pool contains excess experience), then you will get the maximum amount of experience in defence when hit (300 exp), and when you deal auto-attacks (200 exp).

Rob
Chaosweaver
Tester

July 24, 2016, 01:40:45 PM

I understand it now. Thanks! :)
Dima
Tester
Character: Skyrr

August 09, 2016, 06:06:56 AM

Vegan wrote:
Dima wrote:i am wizard now and i got no atk spells!! cmon add some spells
You need to buy spells.
Rob wrote:Abilities may now be bought via shops at the Guilds of Learning in Timari and Empo Sar.
Empo Sar:

Avocado: hi
Thom: Greetings, Avocado. How may I help you?
Avocado: spells
Thom: Here, let me show you the abilities available to your
class.
Rob wrote:To learn abilities from now on, you simply drag the ability that you want to learn into your inventory.
Dima wrote:and the area n orth of milthron, i woud like to explore more!
Are you talking about Wirafal?
Ents are waiting for you there :axe:
It's old out-of-date sprite.
Did wizards get any atk spells? Cuz i was able to buy only suport and healung spells. The atk spels i have now were bought as apprentice already.