It is currently November 18, 2018, 09:47:03 PM

Idea to fight the spammers 
Newcomer

Character: Homeless
Clan: Dwarfhood
Post Idea to fight the spammers
Well I've been playing Phobos for about a day now. I've noticed that the game has some bad lil noobits who like to ruin everyones experience and spam. I found out that the IP ban wasn't working and I came up with a idea to not only ensure the IP ban works but to have it as backup incase the IP ban breaks down again.

My Idea:

Fix the IP ban system to not only look for the IP but also a cookie or someting secretly placed somewhere on the computer (That goes away when you uninstall the game.)

To get this to work there would be some work required (Not sure how much). Mainly it would be making a installer for the game so the "secret" file will be on the computer and coding the IP Ban system to look for the "secret" file. I'm not 100% sure that this plan is fool-proof or even possible but I just thought it would be nice to see.

This may sound mean but please only people who have something worthile to say reply to this. I do not wish for any, "Nice idea." or, "Stupid idea/it won't work." To me that is all just rubbish and wastes everyones time.

Regards,

Homeless

June 19, 2007, 04:50:45 AM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Well, what hinders them from reinstalling the game? :P

but well, there will be a installer on the official release, but I don't think they will be doing one for the testserver just yet, since thisway it makes it a whole lot easier for Zero to handle the client.

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

June 19, 2007, 06:28:58 AM
Tester

Character: Dylan
Clan: Ironfist
Post Re: Idea to fight the spammers
Homeless wrote:
Fix the IP ban system to not only look for the IP but also a cookie or someting secretly placed somewhere on the computer (That goes away when you uninstall the game.)

This is defined as spyware.

June 19, 2007, 07:36:56 AM
Newcomer

As long as you let the people know that it will be on I see no problem with spyware.

June 19, 2007, 03:21:58 PM
Tester

Or make every client have a diffren ID xD Once blocked never ever again useable xD

June 19, 2007, 03:33:45 PM
Adventurer

Character: Zume
Are they even IP banning right now? I think they're just bannin specific users.

June 19, 2007, 06:38:13 PM
Tester

Character: TrevoriuS
Or make every client have a diffren ID xD Once blocked never ever again useable xD

Just re-download?

June 19, 2007, 07:20:46 PM
Staff

what about that thing tibiabot ng has... Hardware fingerprint

June 19, 2007, 08:11:34 PM
Adventurer

not sure if its possible, but can you block the Mac Address (or physical address or w/e [i think thats what its called]) Because I'm pretty sure that can NOT be changed without making a hardware replacement.

June 19, 2007, 08:17:34 PM
Administrator

not sure if its possible, but can you block the Mac Address (or physical address or w/e [i think thats what its called]) Because I'm pretty sure that can NOT be changed without making a hardware replacement.

that's what we are planning to do. Though there are some complications the way of reading a Mac Address has changed thrue years so those who use old computers need a different way

June 19, 2007, 08:52:35 PM
Newcomer

June 19, 2007, 09:52:01 PM
Adventurer

Hasn't it been some time since they changed the way Mac Address's are written? Otherwise, idk what to suggest :P

June 20, 2007, 01:40:17 AM
Staff

Character: Jason

That's not spyware... Spyware collects information about your computer (most of the time), and (as the name states) acts like a SPY. Many programs place their configuration files in the WINDOWS directory, so the user can't find it as easy...

All he wants to do is make a file (most likely in %windir%) that has a byte stored in it, which the client reads, and checks to see if he's allowed to login/use the client.
-

Downside of this is the filesystem watcher, you can monitor your HD procedures, that includes writing/reading/creating/deleting/modifying. If you monitor it before you get banned, you will get a notifcation that the file was updated, you will recieve the contents before the update and after the update, you will also recieve the file path.

June 20, 2007, 06:32:02 AM
Tester

Character: Dylan
@Gecko

That's not spyware... Spyware collects information about your computer (most of the time), and (as the name states) acts like a SPY. Many programs place their configuration files in the WINDOWS directory, so the user can't find it as easy...

All he wants to do is make a file (most likely in %windir%) that has a byte stored in it, which the client reads, and checks to see if he's allowed to login/use the client.
-

Downside of this is the filesystem watcher, you can monitor your HD procedures, that includes writing/reading/creating/deleting/modifying. If you monitor it before you get banned, you will get a notifcation that the file was updated, you will recieve the contents before the update and after the update, you will also recieve the file path.

Nono, he said secretly place a file there. It is called malware if it puts things that aren't in supported areas (Application Data is one of the supported areas where developers can put "secret" files) You've got to watch out for liability here.

June 20, 2007, 06:56:31 AM
Newcomer

Jason wrote:
@Gecko

-

Nono, he said secretly place a file there. It is called malware if it puts things that aren't in supported areas (Application Data is one of the supported areas where developers can put "secret" files) You've got to watch out for liability here.

Accually I said "secretly" (with the quotations). Secretly and "secretly" mean two different things. I called it secret only because you would not tell the user where it goes..However they would still know it is going to be there..

June 20, 2007, 03:39:52 PM