It is currently September 23, 2018, 09:07:43 PM

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Account Security 
Staff

Character: Till
Post Account Security
Was just wondering how you are going to guarantee best account safety for your players, apart from advising them to use a non-guessable password...

I'd suggest something with Security Questions like "What's your mother's name?" as many other known, especially mail-services like GMX or GoogleMail, webpages do. I don't like the system Tibia offers, the so-called Account Personalization, because I really don't like to give away my personal data and I am too lazy to write down an eternally long code, whereas remembering the proper answers to some questions are very easy to remember :)

Kind regards, Nim~

November 07, 2007, 09:55:16 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
Post Re: Account Security
Nimrodel wrote:
Was just wondering how you are going to guarantee best account safety for your players, apart from advising them to use a non-guessable password...

I'd suggest something with Security Questions like "What's your mother's name?" as many other known, especially mail-services like GMX or GoogleMail, webpages do. I don't like the system Tibia offers, the so-called Account Personalization, because I really don't like to give away my personal data and I am too lazy to write down an eternally long code, whereas remembering the proper answers to some questions are very easy to remember :)

Kind regards, Nim~

But I suggest to remove the "easy" question, such as favorite book/movie and similar, or atleast tell people to refrain from using easy guessable ones.
And mothers name could alst be to easy to come by if you have some personal information about the player.

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

November 07, 2007, 09:58:26 PM
Staff

Who would ask for your mother's name? lol, that'd be kinda senseless, since it's not of other people's interest (normally) ;)

Of course there should be a variety of "easy" questions and questions whose answers may differ from language, which would make them hard to guess actually.

November 07, 2007, 10:00:32 PM
Tester

Nimrodel wrote:
Who would ask for your mother's name? lol, that'd be kinda senseless, since it's not of other people's interest (normally) ;)

Of course there should be a variety of "easy" questions and questions whose answers may differ from language, which would make them hard to guess actually.

How about this: there are acouple of guys sitting in a internet café, one of the players there sees one of the other player having some nice stuff or something similar, then it wouldn't be to hard to figure it out where he lived and his mothers name and similar stuff. You'd be amazed by some people will do to gain advantages and exploit other people.

Currently on hiatus

November 07, 2007, 10:06:36 PM
Staff

Fawenah wrote:
Nimrodel wrote:

How about this: there are acouple of guys sitting in a internet café, one of the players there sees one of the other player having some nice stuff or something similar, then it wouldn't be to hard to figure it out where he lived and his mothers name and similar stuff. You'd be amazed by some people will do to gain advantages and exploit other people.

A very rare case I'd say.... normally you cannot see in internet cafés what the dude next to you is doing :o
Furthermore, what obliges you to choose exactly that question? Simply was an example ;)
You're right, though... :oops:

November 07, 2007, 10:08:23 PM
Staff

Character: Redshrike
Clan: The Order of the Beetle
Fawenah wrote:
Nimrodel wrote:

Then I think you have bigger problems with your rl stalker than with any loss of account data...

They meshed the light of moon and sun.

November 07, 2007, 10:14:47 PM
Tester

Redshrike wrote:
Fawenah wrote:
Nimrodel wrote:

Then I think you have bigger problems with your rl stalker than with any loss of account data...

it doesn't have to be a stalker, it could be someone you know, like a person you just met briefly in another class in your school, or a class"mate", I was just making a point that it IS fairly easy to get that information if you set your mind to it (in those situations).

Currently on hiatus

November 07, 2007, 11:45:47 PM
Staff

Character: Jason
Clan: Ironfist
Or simply let the user choose his own question...

Or, we could have a 1-800 # that you could call, and an operator would answer (atm, us - the staff). We would ask for whatever information they have about their account, then match a record with it. Then to confirm it's them, they would have to provide some other in-depth account information, "What did your password look like, or maybe have in it?".

Or, we could offer support for the Fingerprint scanner that you can get for Windows, then store your fingerprint image in our database, then you could login using that - OR, you could use a Windows Card (Windows CardSpace) to authenticate yourself..

November 08, 2007, 11:03:48 PM
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Or get an iris scanner! :D

November 08, 2007, 11:05:18 PM
Tester

fingerscanning is ok for me since I own a cheep one :)

Currently on hiatus

November 08, 2007, 11:38:55 PM
Staff

Character: Redshrike
Clan: The Order of the Beetle
Uh, this is getting rediculous. Seriously, we can't do anything about some crazy person you know in RL knowing the answer to a random question in your account recovery which you shouldn't give a real answer to anyway...

They meshed the light of moon and sun.

November 09, 2007, 04:43:14 AM
Tester

Clan: Order of the Beetle
Torbjørn wrote:

Aren't those called retina scanners or is that something else?

November 14, 2007, 08:45:41 PM
Tester

K-Seppi wrote:
Torbjørn wrote:

Aren't those called retina scanners or is that something else?

a retina and a iris is two diffrent things, but both are in the eye though!

Currently on hiatus

November 14, 2007, 09:44:43 PM
Tester

Character: Boxarez
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Just get some hard secret questions and you'll be fine imho. If a user is dumb enough to have "Favorite fictional character" as question and "Harry Potter" as answer I think he kinda deserves to be hacked because that is so easy to figure out.

November 26, 2007, 06:02:47 PM
Tester

Nah, we will have an easy solution for this problem.

You will have this navigator datapad with a screen on it. First you need to input a twelve characters long authorization code, then it has a voice check. After that you are supposed to drop some of your blood on a small glass plate, which will scan your DNA. Next from that your navigators screen will start to blink in a certain frequence, you put it infront your monitor which will also blink at this moment, and sooner or later the navigator will get synchronized with the monitor. That is when you need to use your digital key (looks like a carkey) with a 1024bits personal code.

All this for a small price of 499$ No Biggie, eh? :)

-Community Relations

December 20, 2007, 10:47:59 PM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next