It is currently November 18, 2018, 11:15:48 AM

Some thoughts I guess. 
Tester

Character: Johnald Skullsplitter
Clan: Akai'Zhar
Post Some thoughts I guess.
Hiya guys. I don't know if this is a proposal or just some brainstorming. Just thinking and such. Don't expect me to be very nice. I will tell you the truth but I will also tell you what to do. Or atleast what I think you should do.
I will probably destroy all my chances to get into the crew due to my bad attitude xD Anyway, I think some small changes is needed.

First of all. The everlasting Tibia vs. Phobos. You guys will FOREVER be compared to Tibia. Forever. That's cause you have the same perspective and to alot of people "the same graphics". There isn't much you can do about that but changing perspective and style, but that's not gonna happen. So instead of that, you might wanna change some small stuffs.

There is some small stuffs that you have changed.

The skill bar
This is a pretty good idea. It's simple, it's half transperant and it's halfly in the way. It's not that annoying. You've made it well but one can't have the skill bar open all the time, maybe it's only me but it kinda annoyes me sometimes. I usually want to have it open all the time. But it's kinda... Forces me to read it. You know when you have a text in front of you and you just have to read it? :P In Tibia the skill bar is more... fitting to the UI. It looks better.

But Tibia hasn't that advanced skill bar. But they don't need that. They win alotsa players since the game is so simple. So... easy. It's easy to understand and easy to play. They have;

Axe fighting
Sword fighting
Club fighting
Distance fighting
Fist fighting
Shielding
Magic lvl
Fishing

It's so damn easy! They don't have to ask "What skill will I improve if I use s a club?". Ofc it's club fighting.

In phobos there is:
Strength
Dexterity
Wisdom
Slashing
Piercing
Hacking
Blunting
Ranged
Defence
Fire
Air
Water
Earth
Spirit
Alchemy
Cooking
Fishing
Fletching
Magic crafting
Mining
Pyrotechnics
Smithing
Tanning

You see how damn many there is? :P
I've marked the ones I understand with red.
There is just 9 of them I understand fully. And I have played Tibia for a long time and some other MMORPGs. What if you haven't played any MMORPGs? What if you are totally new? You will be freaking killed xD

I actually like Tibia because of their simplicity. And when you're going to "brag" about your skills or simply tell 'em you could say.
"I have 63/47" and everyone would understand that you hade 63 in your fighting skill and 47 in your shielding skill. You could also say "Ml 52" and they would understand that you had magic level 52.

But what happens in Phobos?
"What skills do you have?"
"I have slashing 52, blunting 32 and piercing 16. My defence is 52 and my fire is 25, water 15, earth 23 and air 92"

The splitted channels are just great.
They are really great. Nothing wrong with them.

Spells are kinda annoying since I have been pressing the wrong button like 15 times on this server. I've waste so much mana on making great energy strike on the wall. Tibia halfly had this problem too ofc. They also had hotkeys. But you could also write for example "Exura vita".
Simplicity, once again.

The graphics overall
I wonder if it's only me who thinks Phobos has really dull and dark graphics? Even when it's in the middle of the day, Erasan seems kinda... dark and dull. They are really good, they look realistic... But they are so... dark...
Otherwise it's great.

The login screen

It could be changed. The login buttons and such looks like Tibias. Isn't that kinda easy to change? To have bigger, fancy buttons instead of Tibia copies?

Server solution
If I understand it correctly you will have like three or four servers and you will be able to log onto the server that has less players. This is bad I think. It's really bad. Since when I played Tibia I use to decide with some friends what server we should play at. We decided on Obsidia and Obsidia... became our "home". It was funnier since after some time you got to know which one who was the highest lvl on Obisida. You learnt wich ones used to hunt where and wich the mightiest guild were and such. It was much funnier. And you always knew if you're friends were online.
On phobos you have to either call that person and ask wich server he is online at or ask him on msn (if he is online) or log onto every world and check. Bleh.

Money problem
If I understand it correctly all places in Erasan will be available to everyone... The only reason I paid premium account was that I wanted to get to the better hunting places. Ankrahmun, Edron and Darashia. You guys already have problems to pay the servers, and now you have 1 server. What will happen when you have to get like 10 servers? I don't think many will pay if they already can reach every place the ones who pays can. If you make some quests only available to premium accounts (or what ever you will call them) it wont make much of a difference. Not many is so into RP that they will buy premium to be able to roleplay with quests. The ones who is only interested in the item will buy it instead.

And also, the last one:
ZeroCoolz. This one is for you ;)
You have to put your left foot down sometimes. You (now I'm talking to the whole Myth Ent.) can't just wait an half year to decide something. For example has the "Should the Timari be isolated?" been open for years? It's good to get the crowds opinion but don't overdo it. Everyone doesn't have to 100% agree. It just take longer time...
And also, according to me, the game should be released as soon as possible. According to the latest test servers, the game is really good and atleast good enough for atleast a beta. It's just the map that isn't large enough. And you can't expect to beat Tibia in the first version ;)

NOTICE: I have only written the stuffs I think needs work. There are ALOT of stuffs that are sooo much better in Phobos.

February 03, 2008, 01:13:59 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
Post Re: Some thoughts I guess.
About the skills, my guess is there will be listen on the many great fansites what improves what, and how it affects you, quite fast, probably a couple of weeks into the release, or if a dedicated fansite owner decides to start on the testserver.

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

February 03, 2008, 01:52:44 PM
Administrator

Right now we just have too little to set up a proper premium system.
Of course when the real game starts we'll be able to do it with somekind of premium system but now we just do it this way.
Besides the new clicking system allows everyone to later buy themselves somekind of premium.

About the finishing of the game.
I'm currently doing 3 school years in 24 weeks and therefor I don't have much time. I'm not the only one being busy, several others are in university or last year of highschool and they have other things to do. Keep in mind that we work on Phobos on our free time. If everyone says we need to work faster we won't, so it's useless. We work at our own speed.

February 03, 2008, 02:02:12 PM
Tester

ZeroCoolz wrote:
Right now we just have too little to set up a proper premium system.
Of course when the real game starts we'll be able to do it with somekind of premium system but now we just do it this way.
Besides the new clicking system allows everyone to later buy themselves somekind of premium.

About the finishing of the game.
I'm currently doing 3 school years in 24 weeks and therefor I don't have much time. I'm not the only one being busy, several others are in university or last year of highschool and they have other things to do. Keep in mind that we work on Phobos on our free time. If everyone says we need to work faster we won't, so it's useless. We work at our own speed.

That wasn't what I said. Or atleast wasn't what I meant. I meant that the first version of Tibia was WAAAY worse than Phobos is now. I mean that the game hasn't have to be the ultimate super game at the first release.

February 03, 2008, 02:05:27 PM
Administrator

As long as we haven't made several functions we can't release the game.
Right now there are several things missing which will make Phobos unique.
We prefer to wait till we are ready.

February 03, 2008, 02:08:47 PM
Staff

Character: Slurpy
Clan: Ironfist
I really like that they have loads of skills, I wouldn't mind if they added more skills, they just make the whole playing more interesting. Have you ever played Morrowind? Thats a super-duper-dunder-game and that game have like 10 times more skills :)

I really agree with the login screen, that's a boring copy (no offence) and should be changed, as should the outfit system ^^

February 03, 2008, 02:35:39 PM
Staff

Character: Till
The Skillbar
The crafting skills are easy to understand imo, the weapon skills (apart from ranged, defence and wisdom) are quite hard to get, I agree with you Grizzly.

What weapon improves slashing, which piercing? And what the hell is strength for if there already are skills for each weapon type (although we havent quite figured out what these "weapon"-skills actually are for)? Will it be like wisdom, strengthening your weapon-usage overall?

Dexterity probably will be used to cover and evade hits. But what sense does Defence make then? (Btw, I'd spell Defence with an "s" Defense... just looks more... right, although both is possible)

Water, Fire, Air, Spirit, Earth Magic? Where's the difference apart from making damage? Water is used for healing so far, all other Magic-Types just do damage...

Of course the game still is under dev, but you really should make your skill system more transparent, I know nobody who's not in the staff who actually gets it completely.

Another thing is, Grizzly, that you shouldn't think too much like Tibia... there'll surely develop a way of presenting your skills without having to say "Water 20, Strength 10", etc...

Something which came to my mind... it would be cool to have the skillbar open automatically when a skill is upgraded.

Conclusion: Much more in-depth information about skills from the staff for the community please.

Spells
The system is good as it is. If in Tibia is enough time to type the spell into your chat then in Phobos there is enough time to carefully check your hotkeys to prevent pressing the wrong one.

The graphics overall
This just rocks. The dark atmosphere makes it look so much better, so much more realistic, so less childish than Tibia. No need to change that one.

The login screen
Got no priority but could be changed, yes.

Server solution
Totally agreed :)

Money problem
I think this is one of the things where the community has to be involved into the discussion/decision.

February 03, 2008, 02:44:12 PM
Staff

Soz for the long post, but tried to comment on most of the stuff in the thread. Sorry if I'm a bit blunt in places, just trying to get the point across

The Skill Bar
I can't really see any need to have the skill bar visable all the time; it's not like they change very often.

Skills
Mhm it did cause a few problems, but it's difficult for us to know whether that's because most players have a Tibia-based gaming experience, or because it's actually too complex. Strength/wisdom/dexterity is a pretty classic set of RPG primary attributes and if that's causing problems... :?

Spells
I can't see your point, using hotkeys is a pretty standard way of using spells/feats. We're not going to change the system because a few people have a problem memorising a bunch of hotkeys. We're working on more obvious symbols for the hotkeys though, which may help.

The Graphics Overall
This is kinda the Phobos style. Personally, I prefer more realistic graphics over bright, cartoony ones.

The Login Screen
It's not really a priority, I really can't see many people being put off by the starting screen buttons.

Money problem
We're still to decide 100% what all the premium features are. But obviously we're not going to expect many people to pay for a few things that don't help much. The bux.to thing is in NO WAY a long-term solution.

Server solution
I agree that having characters fixed to servers is better for the community in many ways (I would personally prefer that sort of system). But there are also some pretty major benefits with our currently proposed system, and I'm not sure how to deal with them otherwise.

'Putting Our Foot Down'
The 'Timar - Isolated or not?' thread came about after a brief discussion in the development area which we couldn't agree on. We don't expect to please everybody, but it was a simple way of hearing a few more views on it. In the end it was decided that Timar would be isolated at least to begin with, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

Releasing ASAP
Of course people don't want to hear "we're doing this in our spare time"; but the point is: if we had a public server on 24/7, we simply wouldn't be able to cope with the players and continue developing the game (as shown by previous test servers - development flops). Or at least not at any sort of rate that would let us keep up with the players. The map would be over populated, gameplay boring for higher levels, players running riot, etc.

It's completely out of the question (is that enough 'putting our foot down' for you? ;)).

Phobos vs Tibia
CIPsoft, whatever you think of them, is a professional company, and in terms of a game, Phobos is just way behind Tibia. But it's a silly comparison; it's like: all the ingredients for a cake vs... a cake. Tbh, I can't see us 'stealing' any large proportion of the Tibian population any time soon, and we'd never be able to cope if we did.

February 03, 2008, 09:00:06 PM
Staff

Removed all offensive posts! :x

February 04, 2008, 10:53:23 AM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
About the "Login buttons", how about making them look something like this nice thing I found on the net:

[url=http://imageshack.us]Image[/url

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

February 07, 2008, 04:08:30 PM
Staff

Character: Till
Damn no! Why does everybody think the skillbar has to look like this?! :roll: Don't you see that this would be the only blue-leaves-jungle thingy in your inventory?! The transparent thing is fine as it is.... :? :? :? :?

February 07, 2008, 08:39:04 PM
Tester

Phineas wrote:
Damn no! Why does everybody think the skillbar has to look like this?! :roll: Don't you see that this would be the only blue-leaves-jungle thingy in your inventory?! The transparent thing is fine as it is.... :? :? :? :?

Note to Phineas: We're talking about the login buttons.
The skill bar is just fine.

February 07, 2008, 09:13:52 PM
Staff

Not such a bad idea...
(would need to be done properly, of course)

February 07, 2008, 09:15:27 PM
Tester

Flooble wrote:
Not such a bad idea...

Have I told you that I'm in love with you? :O

February 07, 2008, 09:16:07 PM
Tester

That one that you made is great xD