It is currently September 23, 2018, 09:23:22 PM

Death Penalty 
Tester

Character: Falconsbane
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Post Death Penalty
So, obviously there needs to be some death penalty in phobos to keep noobish players from doing noobish things :puke: . But my experience in tibia made it seem too harsh in their game. So, will the death penalty still be present but not be as harsh as tibias? Because I would really hate losing 2 lvls 1 strength, my backpack, possible items, and fighting skills for dieing one time.

please reply
thanx,
Falconsbane

March 27, 2008, 05:41:15 PM
Tester

Post Re: Death Penalty
I doubt if Staff is going to spoil anything, but I can asure you that the penalty will be fair enough. ;)

March 27, 2008, 05:56:57 PM
Tester

This topic has been discussed between us for a long time now, and it's still not fully decided yet.
All I can say, and it will still be dull, is that you will probably be able to decide between some set options on what will occurr when you die.

You are all beeing kept in the dark, and the reason behind that is that we want to show something exceptional, not something half-done. Our main dev-board has 13 pages of topics, and most of them has over onehundered of replies and hundereds of views, and that is only our main-board. The best thing the community can do for us, is to come with constructive criticism.

-Community Relations

March 29, 2008, 12:39:27 AM
Staff

Character: Till
We can do constructive criticism only if we get some hints on what the death penalty could look like.

So you say it's probably gonna be something with the "Settings", an individually set death penalty? Well... not bad, however it still doesn't say what the death penalty could be :P
Anyway, I understand your point that you don't want to spoil anything and I am glad to hear the development board is the most used board in this forum ;)

March 29, 2008, 09:42:35 AM
Staff

Well yeah, we don't expect you to be able to comment on things you don't know about. I think Jac was suggesting that over the years of development we've covered practically all aspects of the game. So the best way the community can help us is by giving us mature feedback and possible modifications to the features we already have.

The only way this can really be done is via a test server, as people often get the wrong idea when just reading things. So I think it's best if we keep that sort of information in the development area until those features are ready for testing.

March 29, 2008, 05:53:41 PM
Staff

Character: Jason
Clan: Ironfist
Like dieing isn't enough, we gotta tack on more?! You people.. no hearts

April 03, 2008, 06:26:46 AM
Tester

Character: El Diablo
Clan: Akai'Zhar
I'm sure you guys are going to make it harder cause when the release happens where going to have banks? so we can deposit stuff so the downside to that would be loosing loot on death? :P

17:13 Dfgdfd has been banned due to being a stupid noob.
20:42 Lolgm has been banned due to being a asswhipe :S.

April 03, 2008, 12:23:52 PM
Tester

I really don't mind the no death penalty. W.O.W. and Guild Wars both really don't have much of a penalty but I guess we'll see. As long as its not as bad as Tibia's I will be happy.

April 07, 2008, 01:31:10 AM
Newcomer

i play tibia a lot, death penalty isn't that bad actually makes the quite fun. Especially in times of war. im looking foraward to phobos though because it looks like old tibia more or less. I hate what CipSoft has done with there anti-Cheating and vocation balancing. its all stupid. but high death penalty just means Dont Die :)

May 26, 2008, 10:43:09 PM
Newcomer

I agree with Valder. I prefer a harsh death penalty because it tells you that only skilled people become stronger. And if you want to be as strong as they are, you need to improve your skills as a player.
That's how the so-called legends are born.

But i'm also an old tibia player who liked the old tibia ;)

June 20, 2008, 05:43:57 AM
Tester

but then you also have to take into account that having too harsh of a death penalty will divert people away from Phobos :no:

June 20, 2008, 07:04:55 AM
Newcomer

It seemed to work alright with the game in question ;p
difficult game = mature players

Me, for instance, couldn't care less for the highest or the first to reach a certain level in World of Warcraft.. i wouldn't pay money to play it either. Simply because i know that if i just play the game more i'll be like that in no time.

There's a lot of easy games like that out there because they attract more people. I wouldn't want to play a game that is just like all the others...

June 23, 2008, 01:32:34 AM
Newcomer

Character: Zarhell
Clan: Dwarfhood
Any penalty have to be fair, that will keep PA away. :yes:

June 23, 2008, 03:26:20 AM
Traveller

Character: Khoda
What brought success to Tibia was how it stood out from all other games.. When you play other games you need to spend time to grow stronger, in Tibia you needed to have skill to grow stronger.. And not only skill in leveling, but also skill in surviving pk'ers and all that. In WoW all you do is waste time doing quests etc that any other person without a mouse can do. Tibia's turning into one of those time consuming games now and that's the main reason I quit. I don't have the time I need to play, and I can't use my skills to get anywhere.

:) Take this into consideration Phoboz.

Also remember: Tibia has had a hard death penalty since day 1, and the game still became a success. People who are addicted to a game wont quit just because they died once, they will find a way to get around that and they will try not to die next time =))

June 24, 2008, 03:02:14 PM
Tester

"just in my opinion"

I think the death penalty should have 3 consequences:

1.) you lose all of the items you don't have equipped to your character (keeping the equipped ones)

2.) you lose a couple of skills down to the beginning of the lvl (for instance, if you were lvl 18 slashing and at 87%, you'd just go down to lvl 18, 0%) or possibly to make it harder, if you get killed by a creature you could lose more (a lvl), if you were pked you couldn't.

3.) you are sent to a place that is hard to get out of before you can get to the main world again. (Ex. a hell, forbidden lands, heaven) so your punishment ends up being the time it takes to get back.. that would suck spending 10-15min getting back to the main world everytime you died.

so, in my opinion that is the best death penalty you can have, a combination of all 3 of those. That would keep newbs from wanting to die all the time, and scared of going to unknown grounds.

I want to hear everyone's opinion on this, and also make there own suggestions

-FB

June 24, 2008, 06:26:29 PM