It is currently September 23, 2018, 09:18:00 PM

Weather Analysis 
Staff

Character: Till
Post Weather Analysis
Posting this in a new topic, because I think that proposals/topics like this get lost/ignored quite fast if posted in some sort of "Proposals Accumulated Thread".

Weather...
...probably one of the most unique features Phobos offers to it's community. But what does the weather-feature mean for Phobos and the community and what should be done about it?
I'll try to do some criticism on the feature.

What is the Phobian weather like?
The only weather-effects we have seen on tests so far were rain and fog.
But what did that mean to the player? Sure, it is a nice contrast to sunshine all the time, but did it change anything for you? Did hunting get any more difficult because the screen got a little bit more white? Did you fail to hit that small rabbit crossing your way, because the rain disturbed your sight? I guess not.

Did your feet get wet, because you stepped into a small puddle, a consequence of the rain that apparently didn't prevent you from killing that poor rabbit.

Now what do we got so far?
Weather....
  • ...doesn't have any impact on your gameplay
  • ...doesn't have any influence on the scenery

Is weather dynamic?
From what we've seen so far rain and fog happen to come and go, more or less arbitrarily and cover big regions.
That leads to the conclusion that we will be able to expect different types of weather appearing randomly throughout the day/week/month.
Will the whole continent be affected? Or just regions? That point is not clear yet.
So, yes, weather is dynamic.

Now let's add that point to our list.
Weather...
  • ...doesn't have any impact on your gameplay
  • ...doesn't have any influence on the scenery
  • ...is dynamic

Now all these characteristics of Phobian weather alltogether...
... mean a problem for TLM in my humble opinion.

Why?
Because if they want to make the "weather-experience" more realistic they'll need to allow weather to...
  • ...change the player's attributes (have an impact on gameplay),
  • ...change the scenery (uddles in case of rain, etc...),
  • ...at any time and place, instantly!

Are there any solutions?
Yes, there are. Limiting weather to appear only in certain regions (fog in an undead city, rain in scarred mountains, etc.) would solve the problem with the scenery, as the weather effect would be permanent, meaning that the map could be adapted to the weather in advance.
I don't know if it's possible to change the player's attributes depending on the region.
If it is we'll get the following:

Weather...
  • ...will have an impact on your gameplay (?)
  • ...will influence the scenery placed in that region
  • ...will NOT be dynamic!

Is it possible to unite all three factors in a positive way, letting weather be dynamic but still giving it the possibility to influence gameplay and scenery?
That is the question I want to ask TLM.
Is it possible?

Last edited by Till on July 13, 2008, 02:11:01 PM, edited 1 time in total.

July 13, 2008, 01:50:08 PM
Administrator

Post Re: Weather Analysis
This is certainly possible. As you've noticed, right now regions aren't selected properly. You did always see: "Timar Valley" in the top left part of you ingame screen. This means we'll first have to select certain regions before we can actually implent our weather system.. As you said, fog near the undead town would increase the feeling of being in a scary place.

July 13, 2008, 02:02:57 PM
Staff

So you think it's possible that puddles appear randomly on the floor when it rains? I just want to be sure, because I heard it was damn hard to do something like that.

(shit, just realized I wrote pebbles in stead of puddles :no: )

July 13, 2008, 02:10:02 PM
Tester

Clan: Order of the Beetle
Almost everything is possible.

July 13, 2008, 05:28:51 PM
Tester

Character: Johnald Skullsplitter
Clan: Akai'Zhar
Still. Weather is an option and those who don't wanna play with it will be slower "without" a reason.

July 13, 2008, 06:52:16 PM
Staff

Grizzly wrote:
Still. Weather is an option and those who don't wanna play with it will be slower "without" a reason.

Another point that should be considered. I don't know how much system ressources the weather-effects take up, but I think that most people fulfill the game requirements and so the abiility to turn off weather could be removed (if weather really will have an impact on gameplay and scenery). Else you could have some sort of "weatherbox" on your screen showing the current weather (sun = no weather effect, dark clouds = rain, moon = night, swift clouds = fog).

Btw, something else I just thought of...
Weather conditions like rain give the player the impression that there is a sky with clouds. But what if it's just sunny? Where are the clouds? It would be cool to see shadows on the ground of the clouds in the sky.
It would be even cool to have some sort of transition from sunny to rainy: sunny >> just a few cloudshadows, the sky darkens, it's going to rain >> more cloudshadows, it's raining >> the sky is full of clouds, it's dark.

Just another thing at ImageZeroCoolz' post...
ZeroCoolz wrote:
This is certainly possible.
[...]

You'll implement it then? ;)

ZeroCoolz wrote:
[...]
This means we'll first have to select certain regions before we can actually implent our weather system.. As you said, fog near the undead town would increase the feeling of being in a scary place.

That sounds as if weather conditions will be restricted to a region?!

July 13, 2008, 07:15:49 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
Since trasperancy is in use, isn't it possible to make puddles with a seperate image, and have it randomly implemented in the area that is affected by rain?

And I guess it will be possible to rain in that undead town, just that fog appears more often there, and perhaps sun is very rarely there, and then the undeads become weaker (i.e affecting gameplay).

I'm not sure how the client and weather system works, but by my guess it'll have some sort of "random" intiger spinning around at certain times that will conduct the weather.
Let's take a "random 1-50".
Where in normal conditions 1-25 will give sun for a period of time. 26-35 will give rain, 36-40 will give snow, 41-50 will give fog in that area.

And in another area, let's say that undead area: 1-35 will give fog, 36-40 gives rain, 41-49 gives sun, 50 gives snow.

or something like that, it wouldn't make it entierely dynamic, since what happens when you walk from one area to another? sun > snow would be wierd. So some sort of transition areas between these "weather areas" needs to be there where one condition will slowly turn to the other.

Kind regards, Faw~

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

July 14, 2008, 12:31:25 AM
Staff

Fawenah wrote:
[...]
or something like that, it wouldn't make it entierely dynamic, since what happens when you walk from one area to another? sun > snow would be wierd. So some sort of transition areas between these "weather areas" needs to be there where one condition will slowly turn to the other.

Kind regards, Faw~

^
V
Phineas wrote:
[...]
Btw, something else I just thought of...
Weather conditions like rain give the player the impression that there is a sky with clouds. But what if it's just sunny? Where are the clouds? It would be cool to see shadows on the ground of the clouds in the sky.
It would be even cool to have some sort of transition from sunny to rainy: sunny >> just a few cloudshadows, the sky darkens, it's going to rain >> more cloudshadows, it's raining >> the sky is full of clouds, it's dark.
[...]

;)

July 14, 2008, 07:01:44 AM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Bah, I knew I read something similar! I just knew it.
My post is mainly just rambeling, made everything up as I wrote it, as most of my posts are.

Kind regards, Faw~

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

July 15, 2008, 11:06:04 AM
Tester

Character: Sellonruil
Quote:
Why?
Because if they want to make the "weather-experience" more realistic they'll need to allow weather to...
...change the player's attributes (have an impact on gameplay),
...change the scenery (uddles in case of rain, etc...),
...at any time and place, instantly!
Ever played Poke'mon? You could use a move called Sunny Day which would bring out the sunshine and fire based attacks would become more effective.

A similar thing in Phobos would be awesome. Rainy days make a 4% reduction of fire spells whilst increasing water-type spells 6% stronger or such.

Puddles are cool and visible ripples on water or splotches would be cooler still.

http://www.salshield.com/image/rain%20p ... 01210a.jpg
http://www.acc.umu.se/~wschedin/regn/re ... -08-16.jpg

December 03, 2008, 11:14:52 AM
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
Sounds like an interesting idea. Will you armor get rusty too? :P

December 03, 2008, 03:05:10 PM
Tester

@Up: [sarcasm]And you'd have to apply a flask of oil to the armor to be able to move at full speed again? Awesome idea![/sarcasm]

Lol.

December 03, 2008, 04:52:41 PM
Newcomer

Get your weather balloon's and anemometer's ready! ^_^

Interesting topic and idea. Well done. :yes:

Can those puddles of water become transparant too or is that not possible with the game-engine?

December 03, 2008, 04:58:55 PM
Tester

Phobos is built in C++ along with MSVC, DirectX and OGL.
Yes its possible. They can (or rather should) be able to set an images alpha transparency up for that effect.

There should be a weather research station or something upon a small mountain in a town...
In fact, I should write up a whole quest based on that idea and make it a proposal!

December 03, 2008, 05:03:09 PM
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
STiX wrote:
@Up: [sarcasm]And you'd have to apply a flask of oil to the armor to be able to move at full speed again? Awesome idea![/sarcasm]

Lol.

Nevermind :yes:

December 03, 2008, 06:18:46 PM