It is currently September 23, 2018, 09:07:10 PM

Crafting 
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Post Crafting
I love a bit of crafting, collecting raw materials to use skills on to create some extra value I have always found an enjoyable part of games.

Some have had very boring ways of collecting those raw materials but I still enjoy it for bringing a different social, economical and job aspect to the game. I would love to see some aspect of this in Phobos.

Things I would like to see :

The ability to collect resources be it from looting or finding that raw material in game. This I think is the hardest part to get right as it can become very boring fast which leans towards being abused.

The ability to craft many of the items in game through these skills, armour, food, ammunition, runes etc. I like the idea that I can create products that people will want to buy, and a different way to make money to hunting.

I would like your opinions on this and any ideas you have :D

Crafting skills are notoriously monotonous but I think this is because most work on a many to one ratio. You have to collect 100's of resources to create that one recipe be it armour or whatever. I think if this ratio was switched to a one to many it could work better. You mine one rock which smelts into more metal which can then be used to create a few items. This removes some of the repeat tasks and the initial resources can be rare/hard to obtain depending on each one.

Just my opinion, but I would love to develop a sweet ass crafting system.

January 12, 2013, 01:17:36 PM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Post Re: Crafting
Should such feature be implemented, it need to be in a way that grinding and monotone tasks are avoided completely, otherwise the game will provide a fertile ground for illegal software (bot) abuse.

January 12, 2013, 01:35:18 PM
Tester

Character: Tifa
Bots are going to hapend even if u try your best to not let them, and crafting has always been a grinding job and imo is kinda hard to not make it that way.

January 12, 2013, 02:56:22 PM
Tester

Yes I agree there are many ways to make it boring but that's not why I was making this thread.

As an example there could be X different raw materials obtainable in the game. Each material would have 1-5 different skill scrolls. Once learned each gives you a craft skill. This allows you to turn the raw materials into a basic item.
These basic items can be used in different combinations to create armours, clothes, weapons and so on. To create the final crafted item you either need to know all the skills to create the base items for the object, or have a party with members having all the skills.

The raw materials could be relatively easy to obtain and worth a little money.
The skill scrolls will be hard to obtain, maybe looted from strong monsters etc.
The time to create the basic materials would be a medium length process but changing the basics into the final item would take a long time. People work together in a deposit like environment, putting in the different items that you need one after another, maybe some with specific times others you just have to wait X amount of time before the next item can be added. You can work alone if you posses all the craft scrolls. You would also need enough basic materials for the same number of players crafting, so if 2 people are making some armour each receives 1.

Don't really know how the process would work exactly but just a few ideas to bring a little versatility and cooperation, making it a hard but rewarding process instead of a process where you repeat tasks for little money

January 12, 2013, 04:34:21 PM
Tester

Character: Celix
Alright, I got some ideas from your posts so what about this:

Random spawns of different types of mine-able rocks, they should be pretty rare to find. When you mine them you get a material (one item) which you then can smelt into usable metal depending on what rock it was that you mined, the rock-type should be random aswell. This metal can enhance items in some way, each metal enhances the items differently.

For example: you find a mining-rock, you mine it and get copper. You smelt the copper into usable metal.
To craft(smelt) it should be some cost to do it or some other material needed in the process, depending on how you craft the outcome will be different.
The crafted item can now for example grant +2 damage to the weapon it is used on (usable 1 time).

You can either chose to use it or you can sell/give it to someone else.

Other metals enhances the items differently.
For example:
Gold (+3 armor)
Silver(10 damage over 3 seconds on hits, useable on weapons),
Steel (Your attacks slow for 5%) etc.

When crafted another way (for example, other materials used):
Gold (+4 armor)
Silver(12 damage over 2 seconds on hits, useable on weapons),
Steel (Your attacks slow for 7%) etc.

This would make you able to customize your items alot more and also add some extra element of gameplay instead of just crafting some item that you could just kill some monster to get. :)

Numbers in examples can be changed ofcourse.

In short:
    - Mine-able rock, with random spawns and random type.
    - When mined, get 1 item of that type
    - Can be used to smelt for some cost (other items/materials, money etc)
    - Different outcome depending on how you smelted
    - The final item can be used to enhance items with different stats or abilities.

EDIT: Cleaned up and made it better and easier to read. :)

January 12, 2013, 04:53:45 PM
Tester

:like: I like the idea of being able to use some materials to upgrade the weapons instead of making new items :like:

January 12, 2013, 07:54:37 PM
Tester

How about creating some sort of quest lines? you guys ideas are great - but if we could implement it into some sort of questline it would be awesome, imagine if you could do different quests and then obtain the needed materials? of course the quests would have to be exciting and different - it could remove the grinding part and still make it rather challenging! :)

January 24, 2013, 11:41:46 PM
Tester

Just been thinking, and I though why not take a good idea from minecraft and develop it. I really enjoy their crafting system.

Attachment:
crafting1.jpg
crafting1.jpg [ 525.59 KiB | Viewed 5269 times ]

:D

March 31, 2013, 05:07:39 PM
Tester

Maybe you could craft different parts which could be assembled in different ways. That would avoid those "many to one" ratio, provide customization to your items, and grant a different way of making money. It's a bit hard to implement and adapt, but is not impossible.

I'll give an example:

If I for instance, mine some iron, i could use it in various different ways (i could use different tools ingame), and make different stuff, like a blade or a guard or a hilt or a pommel (I could make different types of each if i combine different materials, or use different tools in different places, or have different skills, dunno).

Then I would have all that parts that i could then combine into one single item. Like in the example, a sword. That would remove the monotony of crafting, and would give a huge gamma of different, personal and customized weapons.

Of course every combination would have different abilities or stats like attack, defense, extra, critical, elemental, magicals, etc.

And this would increase phenomenally the item variety in the game without having to create hundreds of items, just tenths of parts.

Let's socialize, join the Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/phoboschat

April 13, 2013, 02:30:44 AM
Tester

I don't think just making more things gets rid of the boring crafting side. You just have to make more things.

The things you craft have to be hard to make but good items, takes time to learn a skill and collect the items.

It could be split up into a few sections, teaching, collecting, learning, crafting and finishing.
You learn knowledge from teachings by npc's quests(other).
Collect rare items from monsters/quests.
Learn about the items you have collected by experimenting.
Craft the basic item in crafting area.
Finish it off with other rare gems/powders/potions etc.

April 14, 2013, 02:33:59 PM
Tester

Quote:
The things you craft have to be hard to make but good items, takes time to learn a skill and collect the items.

It could be split up into a few sections, teaching, collecting, learning, crafting and finishing.
You learn knowledge from teachings by npc's quests(other).
Collect rare items from monsters/quests.
Learn about the items you have collected by experimenting.
Craft the basic item in crafting area.
Finish it off with other rare gems/powders/potions etc.

That's exactly what i'm saying, that's my point. Doing more stuff is learning HOW to do every little part of it. You would have to learn a bunch of things before you could craft. Every part of an item would require a certain knowledge.
See, you wouldn't be repeating the same task all the time. You would gather different materials from different quests, monsters or collecting systems (such as mining).

You would really have to work out on that. Take classes from NPCs on how to make this or that... You would be able to combine randomly and receive a (good or not) result you didn't know (or expect) a priori.

Being able to experiment is also cool for crafting. Some items you would have to learn by yourself, nobody would teach you how to do it. Maybe if you're the only one who finds out how making it, you could either sell it for high prices or sell the recipe for doin' it. Or maybe keep it a secret between your friends.

For all the effort, you would have an extremaly valuable, strong and personal item.

The only problem I see is that this system would bring A LOT of work to the staff: designing every first materials, how and where to gather them, deciding the combinations, how to make these combinations, which and how npcs would teach what, designing and projecting the crafting tools, then deciding and balancing the later results, the chances of failing, etc, etc, etc.
That not only requires work, as testing too, and for a loong time.

Let's socialize, join the Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/phoboschat

April 14, 2013, 08:00:04 PM
Tester

We can dream xD

April 14, 2013, 10:51:54 PM
Newcomer

Using raw materials and mined stones/gems and combining them to make nice upgrades is also a great idea. +1 8)

May 17, 2013, 04:28:16 AM