It is currently September 23, 2018, 09:48:29 PM

Unique items 
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Post Unique items
With this thread I hereby propose the existence of unique items in the game known as Phobos, currently being developed.

Those items would be obtained from special quests, events or loot from unique monsters, and, as an example for a sword, instead of being called "broad sword", it would have an unique name, like "Justice Sword".

But those should be really unique, and not be obtained through a quest which everyone would do, obtain the sword and expose it on their houses.

February 05, 2013, 07:01:07 PM
Staff

Character: Till
Post Re: Unique items
Unique items are planned. There will of course be multiple ways to obtain such an item. One thing however I would want to put up for discussion: should these items be unique, but exist on several servers (assuming character transfers are not possible)?

February 05, 2013, 07:50:22 PM
Tester

Awesome, I love unique items. For me they should be dropped not only from bosses, but also from normal mobs but the chance to drop one should be `unique` too.

February 05, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
Staff

Character: Inconcessus
I'll take this opportunity to go on a slight rant. If I think of more I'll post again.

It all depends on the context whether an item should be game-unique, world-unique or merely hard to obtain.

My terminology:
Game-unique: unique for the entire game.
World-eigen: unique for an individual world.
World-unique: unique per individual world/server.

Game-unique items
This type of items can only be obtained once in the entire game. One thing that comes to mind is rewards for community contests. For example, a golden goblet for the best karaoke video of the Phobian community.

Another situation in which a game-unique item would be necessary comes in the form of an elaborate riddle quest. Not all quests require you to slay hordes of monstrous entities. Take for example a quest that requires you to solve many riddles and read through a lot of history. If one player solves this riddle on his world it would be very unpleasant if this person creates a character on all servers to solve the same quest with minimal effort.

World-eigen items
Since the Phobian world is said to be dynamic, world-unique items could tell a story of a specific server. For example, if the world is plagued by a dark presence that is finally overcome, the essence of this darkness trapped within an orb could become a historical artifact and be characteristic to this world.

Items in this category also include items that were obtained but were then removed from the game.

World-unique items
A type of world-unique items can be rewards for the first of each class to reach a great accomplishment for that server. A wizard would receive a fancy looking wand and a knight would receive a sharp blade as reward for their efforts.

Unique items tell a story of a server. Use that well and it adds an incredible amount of depth to the community and game.

February 05, 2013, 11:52:46 PM
Traveller

Character: Everlast
sounds really neet aswell! how about this. lets say on one server the world gets demolished by some kind of wizard ( when this wizard is slain, he then drops a unique item a wizard WOULD drop, lets say a wand) and then another server is attacked by a humanoid gang, the leader carries a LARGE axe, which is unique OFC. (the city is not forced to be destroyed for you to be able to obtain this uinique item (which in this case is that "large" axe)

February 06, 2013, 12:50:51 PM
Tester

Character: Felipe Maharis
Clan: Order of the White Robe
I like this discussion. Please continue with it for the sole reason of me liking it. Thank you.

February 06, 2013, 11:33:20 PM
Tester

For the idea in general, i totally agree with Inconcessus, I loved all of his ideas, and i take them all for myself aswell.

I also have another proposition in other topic which fits this "unique item" idea.
I'll just quote myself from this topic: Crafting (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5677).
Autran wrote:
Maybe you could craft different parts which could be assembled in different ways. That would avoid those "many to one" ratio, provide customization to your items, and grant a different way of making money. It's a bit hard to implement and adapt, but is not impossible.

I'll give an example:

If I for instance, mine some iron, i could use it in various different ways (i could use different tools ingame), and make different stuff, like a blade or a guard or a hilt or a pommel (I could make different types of each if i combine different materials, or use different tools in different places, or have different skills, dunno).

Then I would have all that parts that i could then combine into one single item. Like in the example, a sword. That would remove the monotony of crafting, and would give a huge gamma of different, personal and customized weapons.

Of course every combination would have different abilities or stats like attack, defense, extra, critical, elemental, magicals, etc.

And this would increase phenomenally the item variety in the game without having to create hundreds of items, just tenths of parts.

Please comment your thoughts. :D

Let's socialize, join the Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/phoboschat

April 13, 2013, 02:08:46 PM
Tester

Character: Sareth
In my opinion one of the most interesting topic about games such as Phobos *cough* Tibia *cough* is the rare and the unique items. The stories and mysteries revolving around them are just fascinating and interests many players.

There should definitely be some unique items obtainable through discovering secret locations or solving mysteries or riddles in Phobos. Like Inconcessus stated in his post before.

They shouldn't be items obtainable through just power gaming; just the opposite actually. Player would have to have vast knowledge about Phobos, its genesis and its lore to solve those riddles and mysteries to finally obtain such an item. It should feel like a feat and please you with the feeling of success that your hard work finally paid off.

Those unique items would add depth into the game and into the specific gameworlds they're obtained in.

April 13, 2013, 08:38:18 PM
Tester

I think unique items as you say Xareth, will obviously exist. But I think the proposition is about having some really unique, almost exclusive items. Maybe for servers or world events.

Imagine a world event where only those who did participate will have it. Maybe with their names engraved. And never more a person will be able to get one like that (in theory)... It's like: HEY, here it is, I DID PARTICIPATE!!

April 16, 2013, 03:27:48 AM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Inconcessus' post is a really good one, he expressed exactly what I meant. The game should not have only "named" but repeated items obtained in quests everyone makes to expose the items like others graphical multi-user dungeons out there, namely Tibia.

Instead, world-unique, world-eigen and game-unique, using Inconcessus' terminology, would provide the game with flavor and lore which would appease every player.

April 16, 2013, 03:56:55 AM
Tester

Character: Sareth
Autran wrote:
I think unique items as you say Xareth, will obviously exist. But I think the proposition is about having some really unique, almost exclusive items. Maybe for servers or world events.

Imagine a world event where only those who did participate will have it. Maybe with their names engraved. And never more a person will be able to get one like that (in theory)... It's like: HEY, here it is, I DID PARTICIPATE!!

Yeah, just wanted to be sure! And of course there should some some kind of items like that. They'd be almost, if not evenly, good for the game!

Last edited by Xareth on April 16, 2013, 06:55:53 PM, edited 1 time in total.

April 16, 2013, 02:30:17 PM
Tester

Danm it, I can already see houses full of items in which the new players are going to arrive and think: "omg, i want one of this for me. This guy, this guy is awesome!"

April 16, 2013, 03:22:00 PM