wasd or not?

Got a great idea or a proposal for us? Post it here and discuss it with others!
Robbert
Administrator

June 04, 2013, 10:27:56 PM

Ctrl + M is just to change mode..

We've got too modes.

mode 1) You walk using the arrow keys and can talk whenever you'd like.
mode 2) You use the ASDW keys for walking and need to press [enter] to talk.

So I don't think you understood CTRL + M ;)
Sir Vitor
Tester
Character: Sir Vitor

June 05, 2013, 01:42:44 AM

Robbert wrote:Ctrl + M is just to change mode..

We've got too modes.

That's true, I was so much with Zezenia in my mind that I completely forgot you can still text with enter function. Please accept my apologies :rolleyes:
However, while texting you are still able to use the arrow keys to move right? So if I need to instantly message I am still able to walk.

Also, please still consider my proposal on the last paragraph, IMO it is an amazing idea.
Autran
Tester

June 05, 2013, 02:28:26 AM

I kind of agree with Sir Vitor, but I would have to get used with this system... The ony game of this kind i've ever played is Tibia, so...
Last edited by Autran on June 05, 2013, 06:00:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.
Till
Staff
Character: Till

June 05, 2013, 05:38:46 AM

Sir Vitor wrote: However, while texting you are still able to use the arrow keys to move right? So if I need to instantly message I am still able to walk.
Yes, you can. However, you can't keep an arrow key pressed and type at the same time. Your character will stop walking. Instead you must tap the arrow key constantly and type one-handed in order to move while chatting.

An alternative, that feels much more comfortable in my opinion, is to chat while moving with your mouse. This works in both modes.
Sir Vitor wrote:Also, please still consider my proposal on the last paragraph, IMO it is an amazing idea.
This is already being discussed internally ;)
Autran
Tester

June 05, 2013, 06:03:40 AM

Till wrote:
Sir Vitor wrote:Also, please still consider my proposal on the last paragraph, IMO it is an amazing idea.
This is already being discussed internally ;)
Why discuss it? I mean, why not to do it? Would it hamper something else you guys have already planned?
Ricardo
Tester
Character: Ricardo

June 05, 2013, 06:31:47 AM

Sir Vitor wrote:That's actually a good reason to have customizable hotkeys in the game, like any other MMORPG. That way the user may set his settings the way he wants (for instance some people like to walk using ESDF instead of WASD), and also people could bind any spell to any key they want.
It would be awesome to be able to make the character walk using the numpad or VI keys:

Code: Select all

Numpad:   7 8 9     vi-keys:   y k u
           \|/                  \|/
          4-.-6                h-.-l
           /|\                  /|\
          1 2 3                b j n
Numpad feels very natural for me. VI keys feels natural for programmers and text based graphic adventure players.
Robbert
Administrator

June 05, 2013, 10:28:00 AM

Sir Vitor wrote:
Robbert wrote:Ctrl + M is just to change mode..

We've got too modes.

That's true, I was so much with Zezenia in my mind that I completely forgot you can still text with enter function. Please accept my apologies :rolleyes:
However, while texting you are still able to use the arrow keys to move right? So if I need to instantly message I am still able to walk.

Also, please still consider my proposal on the last paragraph, IMO it is an amazing idea.
Apologies accepted :)

You're still able to move with the arrow keys.
@Ricardo, numpad always works. of course ;)

@Sir Vitor and Autran, we will work on key customisation. The question is just how we'll make it work right. It's on the todo, so no worries ;) There are just so many things on the todo that it gets busy ;)
Autran
Tester

June 05, 2013, 06:01:22 PM

Ricardo wrote:
Sir Vitor wrote:That's actually a good reason to have customizable hotkeys in the game, like any other MMORPG. That way the user may set his settings the way he wants (for instance some people like to walk using ESDF instead of WASD), and also people could bind any spell to any key they want.
It would be awesome to be able to make the character walk using the numpad or VI keys:

Code: Select all

Numpad:   7 8 9     vi-keys:   y k u
           \|/                  \|/
          4-.-6                h-.-l
           /|\                  /|\
          1 2 3                b j n

Numpad feels very natural for me. VI keys feels natural for programmers and text based graphic adventure players.
:shock: What are those VI keys of yours? Where do you live? How is your keyboard?

@Robbert
Nice, man.. :)
Xareth
Tester
Character: Sareth

June 05, 2013, 08:11:30 PM

I was also wondering what those VI-keys were.. That button layout doesn't really make sense to me. :shock:
Thor
The Old Dwarf
Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood

June 05, 2013, 08:21:57 PM

If you follow the link he provided in his post it is quite well explained ;)
Ricardo
Tester
Character: Ricardo

June 05, 2013, 08:36:51 PM

Those were the arrow keys used on some 80's terminal which keyboard had no proper arrow keys.
Xareth
Tester
Character: Sareth

June 05, 2013, 09:11:38 PM

Torbjørn wrote:If you follow the link he provided in his post it is quite well explained ;)
And there was the answer right in front of my eyes and didn't notice it.. How can one be so blind sometimes? xD
Stian
Tester

June 06, 2013, 03:10:57 PM

Sir Vitor wrote:
Rob wrote:Just a quick update on this: Robbert added Ctrl-M as the hotkey to toggle between chat modes.
Nice! That was the fastest response to a proposal I've ever seen :P
EDIT:
However, not wanting to bother to much, I think CTRL+M isn't very good because you need to raise your hand from the mouse to press it, so if you are in middle of something dangerous and needs to instantly reply to someone you would have to remove your hand from the mouse what could possibly be bad. If it was closer and you would do it with the left hand (ex.: ctrl+V) it would be easier.
This is no big deal, just a point of view, not sure if it really matters. We can only verify that by playing the game under real circumstances.

That's actually a good reason to have customizable hotkeys in the game, like any other MMORPG. That way the user may set his settings the way he wants (for instance some people like to walk using ESDF instead of WASD), and also people could bind any spell to any key they want.
The purpose is to toggle between the chat modes. If you're in a hurry and need to send a message you'd just enable the chat in WASD mode, and not necessarily toggle to arrow-key mode first.