It is currently November 18, 2018, 07:43:25 PM

Environmental Transition 
Tester

Post Environmental Transition
For today's topic I decided to voice my derogatory ideas concerning the environment.

I consider it to be an important aspect of the game, specially when the goal is to achieve a role-playing atmosphere. I am unsatisfied on the degree of similarity that Phobos shares with Tibia. The later fails miserably when it comes to depict convincing scenarios, such as mountains, forests, mines, and deserts.

I believe that the main ingredients of a successful ambiance are the graphics, and composition. Graphics blame may be due to the lack of variety, and composition to environmental transitions. Lets take for Kazordoon's mine for example, where the walls, the floors, and pretty much everything else inside looks exactly the same as Rookgard's or Thais' sewer. It also looks like a random cave in Fibula, or Hellgate, or actually every other cave in the game.
We dont see trails inside the mines, pickaxes, gems, wooden support frames, or mine charts. In the sewers there are no flushing tubes, or installations. There is nothing particular about either locations to remind the players that they are in a mine or a sewer, except dwarfs and rats respectively.

Concerning the composition, I think the areas are not very well defined. Everything in Tibia looks so far away, and its hard to tell when the player is entering a determined setting. The exceptions are the Ice Islands and the Desert Island (Which I dont know the name lol). I think in most other games, and in real life the transitions are sharper. We know when we are about to venture inside a forest, a swamp, a desert, or a cave. In addition, we also have a pre-knowledge of what may lie inside; I expect to find some mummies inside a piramid, wolves in the forest, a dragon in the cave, a demon in hell, a yeti in the icelands, skeletons in the graveyard, a vampire in the old manor... Yet we find those things EVERYWHERE in Tibia!
I remember my first death was because I fell in a one way whole in a cave in Thais (which I thought was part of the sewers), and there was a dragon!! There are Mummies in the swamps, rats everywhere, dwarfs and minotaurs in the elven city, demons in the desert. o.O

Pretty much everywhere I went in that stupid game was giving me the same sense of insecurity, that I might find something totally unexpected no matter where I go. NPC and books are of no use, they talk gibberish, are hard to have a well flown conversation with, and most of the information they give are missing pieces, incorrect, part of incomplete quests, or ambiguous.

Further ideas on how to improve environmental conviction are welcome.

Finally, Id like to mention that every idea I posted are based on opinion, not facts. Feel free to agree or disagree, as everything is completely subjective. I also consider this issue as being somewhat important. It doesnt call for any immediate needs, but I think its something to work on slowly as the game progresses. Tibia's fast growth is one of the possible causes that the game expanded before they had the necessary resources to fulfill the conviction.

Yours,
Leath :]

May 24, 2007, 11:25:31 PM
Newcomer

Yea, I completly agree with you and this shouldn't be hard to fix I think?

May 24, 2007, 11:49:34 PM
Staff

Character: Redshrike
Clan: The Order of the Beetle
I agree with you on some things, though I think on transitions you have it reversed. For instance, in Tibia the transition from grassland to desert is laughable; there's grass, and then suddenly sand. No in between. No thinning of grass, no gradual increase in scrub brush, just a desert slapped in the middle of nowhere.
I totally agree with the 'forests' in Tibia, though. There's absolutely no sense of being among trees at all. The real problem, I believe, is that trees don't really get up to nearly proportional sizes; they're all about twice the size of a player. Unfortunately, it seems that there's no real practical way to have gigantic trees in this perspective... It would just be so cool to have something where you could actually walk around the forest floor among tree trunks instead of having the crowns about level with your head...

May 25, 2007, 01:03:39 AM
Tester

As i said before I totally agree with this idea.

May 25, 2007, 03:11:42 AM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood

because immagine if your talkin' a stroll in the forest and the birds are singing and the flowers smells nice, and your watching the wolf pups playing and suddenly BAM a dragon lands on your back and rips your head of.
that would kinda suck, am I right?

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

May 27, 2007, 02:04:54 PM
Tester

Character: TrevoriuS
I will support it, but erm.. will you draw sewers, mine rails + chart?

Further, I think some creatures could be everywhere, as long as there is a reason in the lore.

Put an inscription on the wall or put down an old tome, descripting happenings in that area in the past, leading to the creatures and damages/structures/environmental stuff that is in there now.

May 27, 2007, 02:16:42 PM
Newcomer

for instance if you have an old dwarf fort, deep in the caves you could easily explain a demon on the loose, or orcs that have been pushing into dwarven territory

May 27, 2007, 02:29:28 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Ofcourse, as long as there is a reasonable explanation to why the monsters are there they should be there :)

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

May 27, 2007, 02:39:29 PM
Newcomer

Yea ofcourse, I mean who would be so stupid to let a giant summon infront of a temple infront of plenty lvl 1! haha no1 is that stupid :)

just kiddin' :p
(the only explantion for a giant being there is because it was looking for a dwarf but couldnt find it because the dwarf is too short and so the giant got angry and killed all)

May 27, 2007, 03:22:29 PM
Tester

Character: FadeAway
I support your ideas Leath, And I totally agree. As you said allmost all of tibias caves look the same, Dont matter if your in the desert in a swamp or in a mountain cave.

And also as you said, These things could be something we could update as we go... Small things can make it look alot different. Like seeing a amethyst sticking out of a cave wall in a mining area.. Or something like that...

Fade~

May 27, 2007, 04:30:27 PM