It is currently November 18, 2018, 11:57:38 AM

Some ideas of mine 
Traveller

Post Some ideas of mine
I understand these could already have been brainstormed, but I want to share my concepts anyway.
I will update this topic when something new comes to my mind.

Perks/Traits
Those who played fallout know what I mean.
During the game you could be able to find people who teach unique skills(or maybe also books from which you can learn them),
you can chose only 1 or 2 skills (or less?) so you should choose wisely (you never know if the next day you would find a much better one).
Maybe some skills of little importance (cooking etc.?)could be learned regardless of the limit?

This could make each character even more unique.

Some examples: (forgot to post them before, lol)
Dodge master - high concetration enables you to dodge even the hardest hits, which reduces a chance to get hit by enemy by 30-40%.
To move quicker tho you can't be overweight so the max cap is reduced.
More than average dexterity is necessary so you can learn this ability.

Jinx - everyone around you is more vulnerable to critical hits, both monsters and friends (could be prevented by magical amulets like rabbits foot? :p)

Group spells
Magic often consists of some special rituals.
They could be done in groups.
Some special skill would let you use some ritual dust on the ground, after that some sprite of a pentagram (or other magical symbols, depends on the kind of spell) would be drawn there, indicating somehow (a glow?) places where people casting the spell should stand, after they did it, they cast a group spell et voila, it is done.

Example of that spell might be teleport, the person who gets teleported would stand inside of some symbol, like 3 mages around would cast the spell and the person inside would be teleported to a city.
It should require high skills and lots of mana (and the ritual dust, also expensive) so you would use it rarely (maybe some nice business could be run ;p)

Another idea for a group spell is a powerful summon or a strong buff ;]

Player-built houses

Ye ye, I know you said it's not to be done, yet I still think it is a good idea and I want to have it in my thread :p

I think you shouldn't be able to change the buildings in a city, cos it could look a bit weird if every house was different.

Yet I believe that having fields outside the house which you could rent and build a house/guildhall should be neat aswell.

I see that this way:

1. If the parcel isn't rented you can just walk over it. There could be some signs showing that you can rent it.

2. There should be some designer npc in the city who you could go to and either buy a design from the ones offered by him(looking like a scroll or sth) or buy a blank design(more expensive).

3. Designs' system - should be needed to carry it out, could take a bit of work to implement. You should be able to view a ready design (like you ctrl-click on it and a window opens - smaller map is drawn with the designed house, you are unable to change it).
You should also be able to make a design - a window would be opened with some mini map-editor with limited pieces you could choose from (maybe some additional skill could be taught by some npc as a reward for a quest so that could unlock additional pieces you could use in your house). After having finished it, it would be saved and you couldn't make any changes.
It could be sold so the good player designers could earn money for nice projects.

Maybe you could also set "access zones" so you would set the access for areas of your building - a huge guildhall could have halls opened for everyone and inner buildings - only for guildmembers.

4. Building a house. You should go to a property npc in the city with a design you want to use and rent the chosen parcel (the building must be smaller or equally large as the field) so the house would be put there after next server save. Doing that action you lose your design.

5. How to make it ?
Of course you may have own ideas how to do it and they can be probably better than mine but I would make it like this:

When you save your design, a special uid is assigned to it, the design is sent to server and stored with a file with that uid. This number would also be added to some list.
When you go to npc with a project of a special uid and you choose the property and pay it and so on - the parcel id is assigned to exact uid on the list mentioned before.

When there's a server save some script runs, checks the list and adds the content of a file with each uid to the corresponding parcel (changes the world-map file). The design-file and the list is removed later on.

Last edited by Reiny on June 27, 2007, 08:46:36 PM, edited 3 times in total.

June 11, 2007, 01:20:52 PM
Tester

The first idea is good, players would have some nice professions ^^ eg. leatherworker. But I'm kinda not sure about the teleport thiengie. It's kinda WoW styled :P But what I think buffs and some aeria of effect spells that would give you some boost would be great (like tottems in WoW).

June 11, 2007, 01:24:54 PM
Adventurer

Character: Zume
Clan: Ironfist
I like those ideas, might be hard to get really specific with things though, I could be wrong however...

June 11, 2007, 05:21:33 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
I got two things to say, how do you have less than 1 skill and still have it? :P

Well appart from that I would love the first idea, imagine a blocker getting the dodge thingy, and so on :)

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

June 11, 2007, 09:33:02 PM
Traveller

Form change -
some monsters could be able to change during the battle into another form with different skills which would require people hunting them to change their tactic (it shouldn't happen often though)
example: water elemental - fluid form (weaker, but quick with quite good magical skills or ice form (more tank-like, strong melee, but slow ;p)

FF7/Dune inspired idea
I think there should be a powerful, giant snake-like monster in some desert/swamp, which would check regurarly its territory and attack the people who invade it (would always switch to the player closest to it, this monster should have powerful hits, shitload of hp and good defense and hardly any loot (maybe only trophy would be a nice thing).
The best way to go across that desert/swamp would be to run across as fast as possible or get a strong team and kill it (not really worthy).

This is how a way to some nice hunting/quest places could be block to prevent newbies from going there ;p

June 29, 2007, 05:17:08 PM
Tester

Sounds a bit pokemonish xD But I like the idea ^^ Added to big list.

June 29, 2007, 06:53:26 PM
Tester

Character: Johnald Skullsplitter
Clan: Akai'Zhar
Think realistic also
Why would a giant snake wear a trophy?

June 29, 2007, 07:51:48 PM
Tester

Character: Fawenah
Clan: Dwarfhood
@Reiny
Think realistic also
Why would a giant snake wear a trophy?

They don't "wear" trophy, or in a way they do, a trophy is something (in this case) that you take as a reward of acchiving something, in this case probably a head or something, so I guess the snake wore it's head and you cut it of to save it as a trophy when you killed it.

Sprinters get "buckets" (to tired to remember the real name for it, cups?) as their reward, and it is somewhat a trophy.

Hunters usualy take the head of the animal they killed and stuff it, and that is also called a trophy.

:)

Member of the Phobos community since 2005
Currently on hiatus

"Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie."

June 29, 2007, 08:22:17 PM
Traveller

I was wondering why you don't you use potential of opengl/dx when it comes to spells.
I mean... a simple sprite + some trigonometry here and there can look thousands time better than a few frames with awesome gfx.
Of course coding simple spells would be useless and could take much more time than drawing but I think the stronger ones deserve to look stunning.
Especially when you got ppl good both at drawing and maths/comp science (eloryn could be an example ;p).

I'm not an expert so I don't know how much it affects performance, to my belief it shouldn't be so drastic, but you probably know it better to critisize my idea ;)

July 06, 2007, 03:07:01 PM
Honorary Member

I'm not that much of a coder myself (I just finished a java course at university). I wonder what kind of mathematics you're aiming at though, sounds fun :)

July 06, 2007, 03:21:24 PM
Newcomer

Last edited by Tomzinho on July 03, 2014, 04:19:26 PM, edited 1 time in total.

July 29, 2007, 10:04:25 PM
Traveller

I just had this crazy idea, I got no clue if you are gonna like it or not, but I find it cool ;p

Magic voice
I think there could be some ability to enchance spells (more damage/gain or other benefits). How?
You would hit a hotkey to enable it and then hit a spell hotkey.
Then a semitransparent window would appear in the middle of the screen
with some captcha-like random word (could be made great - some runes or nice font ;p) you would need to re-type it (maybe within some short time ? 10 sec to do it, then you lose the chance ? ;p)
And then the spell would be cast.

How do you like it ? Perhaps totally sucky, eh ?
8)

August 19, 2007, 09:25:46 PM