It is currently August 20, 2017, 08:59:24 AM

Teaser - Creatures 
Tester

Character: Snirf
Clan: Rainbow Pandas
Post Re: Teaser - Creatures
Agent Green wrote:
I don't think there should be any automated bot detection/prevention. Players are the best bot detectors, there just needs to be a good system in place to report players who are suspected of cheating and a team of people who can act on these reports.

The playing community are your best weapon against cheaters.

I am not sure I even agree with lowering the amount of experience given from a creature with the higher levels you get, although it does make a little sense as after you have gained so many levels you would not be learning anything new killing that creature.

Problem is people can bot for hours upon hours with no one coming across them (maybe). An automated bot detection system wouldn't hinder anything, and not even become a really annoying if done right. A simple window could even show up where you have to click a random amount of buttons until you can play again. Not hard if your at the computer take maybe 5 seconds if that to do it. However if your using a bot, you wouldn't get it that quick. Having these times recorded would help the GMs to catch more bot users and ban their IP. I for one would rather have a bot detection system as well as people who do investigations based on player reports because the game would be THAT much more secure, without causing THAT much annoyance to the real players. Of course it wouldnt happen when your hunting monsters your level, like I said it would only kick in when your hunting monsters giving below a certain % of exp already, and if your doing that then your probably hunting for gold/items for crafting (if it ever comes out) and most likely wouldn't mind it (unless you were botting).

December 08, 2012, 10:39:24 PM
Staff

The problem is, that pretty much any CAPTCHA or puzzle involving stuff like pressing a selection of buttons or answering a question can be automated by a bot, if the programmer knows what they're doing. And as I've mentioned before, large-scale cheating is usually a sign of broken game mechanics.

Of course, at release this won't be a big issue at all anyway. So we'll rely on player reports. One possible future addition to this could be making use the of automation that some of you have mentioned to flag up suspicious behaviour (e.g. hunting in the same area for more than x hours, hunting creatures below their level, looting very quickly, etc). Then we can manually check up on those 'suspicious' players from time to time.

Feel free to fire out any more ideas on this subject. We're always happy to see productive discussion :)

December 09, 2012, 02:19:12 AM
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
Clan: Order of the Beetle
I have cheated in Tibia, it first started with Tibia GG to fish and light hack then moved on to other bots. This was only for a bit of afk rune making and training skills.

Bots can do many things but responding in a "human" way is near impossible, I see every cheat prevention that they added to the game as a bad update leading to a shit game.

I (hope) think that everybody here will think about cheating in a better way and develop the game to remove any need for an automatic tool. This is not black or white obviously the game will contain tasks that are repetitive that incline towards being able to write a program to complete.

I have lost my trail of though as I am drunk, but I would not have cheated if... well only if the character was deleted and I just think the best way to catch them is with a real person. They went and made players easier and easier instead of making the game harder and harder

December 09, 2012, 02:40:10 AM
Tester

Character: Bacjusz Merryeye
Clan: Starzy Wyjadacze
C.O.P. - Citizens on Patrol; of course incognito ;p

December 09, 2012, 10:27:23 AM
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood
Agent Green wrote:
I have lost my trail of though as I am drunk, but I would not have cheated if... well only if the character was deleted and I just think the best way to catch them is with a real person.

In most cases if you're caught cheating, the punishment will be that your account is deleted/permanently banished. Known that, would you not have cheated?

December 09, 2012, 10:39:38 AM
Tester

Character: Snirf
Clan: Rainbow Pandas
Yes, a 100% no 'let-you-slide-this-one-time' account ban/deletion would be a great deterrence for cheaters. Another idea would be to have a built in trade system that is trackable by GMs. So those who do get caught could be checked to see who they traded with (most likely friends/main). Of course this, like everything, would be side-stepable, but it provides just that much more protection/help in finding the real cheaters.

And maybe instead of an auto window popup, how about an automated report message sent to GMs that tells of people who are doing certain things constantly for long periods of time. That way no one gets bugged (sept the GMs of course) and it would just take a quick /teleport <charname> or whatever the command may be to check in on it and hopefully prevent even more cheating.

December 09, 2012, 01:01:56 PM
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
Clan: Order of the Beetle
The main reason I did it was because there was hardly any punishment and everybody else was using it. In the end nobody reported botters as nothing happened because of the report, cheaters were just able to get away with it so I think more and more appeared to overcome this disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong I never spent much of my time botting as I did enjoy playing the game, but it just ended up as being part of the game because the cheaters were never removed from the game.
Removing them from the game quickly when they have been found out would have stopped me using any tool, I could have been a different player reporting most cheaters if something had been done about it.

I wonder if you could have some inbuilt screen capture that a player could use to record 1min or so of game play to report them with or just being able to use recorded footage to report cheaters on the forum.
I could see the inbuilt recorder getting abused or spammed so maybe that could not work.

Maybe there could be a way to submit a video privately to a character to be reviewed, and if more than 2 videos are confirmed then that character is banned.

December 09, 2012, 01:59:29 PM
Tester

Character: Sparksman
Clan: Akai'zhar
I also cheated, and I belive this doesn't mean I'm an unfair gamer. I played Tibia for a lot of years without botting, but there was a point in which it was a lot funnier botting than playing. That should have never happened.
Before I botted there was a big punishment for botters, and they caught lots of them.
I was afraid of doing it, and I just played like everybody else. But when it was proved that cip did nothing to botters... Well it was like doing cheats in age of empires for example. It's very funny but the game loses it's point.

I think cheating should not be a way you can choose. Nowdays in tibia it depends of your honesty if you bot or not. That should not be like that. You can't choose it, because if you do you will get punished. It used to be like that at the begining. I don't know why they did it allow it later. But it's clear that it was cipsoft fault, not mine.

December 09, 2012, 02:08:20 PM
Tester

Character: Sir Vitor
To be honest the most scaring bot is PvP bot (aimbot, or anything that gives advantadge on PvP). I'm really scared of it, since it is very hard to catch and it makes the game really unfair.

December 09, 2012, 05:34:29 PM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Invasive anti-cheating measures are a pain in the ass to the players.

Development should focus on meta-heuristic methods to help the rule enforcement team members to proactively investigate cheaters, in a manner which is totally transparent to players, seamlessly integrated into the game.

December 09, 2012, 07:29:18 PM
Tester

Character: Luthien Mcduff
Clan: n/a
I still always thought having an in game jail to see the players that have cheated to put a name to the character is a good way for the community to recognize the cheaters for when they come back with another account and try cheating again..or something along those lines.

Raised from the very depths of hell, taught the secret of the old ways, learned everything that could be obtained, taught what is now lost, gathered an army under his wings of glory, and marched into the gates of his sworn enemies, conquered the vast lands of darkness; the fire of exile.

"the old man Istari"

August 11, 2013, 01:19:51 AM
Tester

About the creatures AI, another idea to counter bots could be that the low level creatures could target the lowest level Player in sight so new players can get to them easier.

We're not against printing. We're against wasting resources.

We don't want to stop people printing. We simply think that sometimes, people, and not everyone, need reminding that wasting paper, ink and toner doesn't make economic or environmental sense.

December 20, 2015, 11:26:39 PM