Teaser - The Forgotten Presents I 
Tester

Character: Jakrr
Clan: Brotherhood Ruthless
Post Re: Teaser - The Forgotten Presents I
Nordberg wrote:
Kardaum wrote:
Naming rules... such bad news.

Dude, I think it's more of a hint like "You can now start to think about your character name, it's that close ;)"

I wondered that too.

December 26, 2012, 11:35:07 PM
Traveller

So... I can't call my character Charizard? Jeez :no:

December 31, 2012, 09:08:07 PM
Tester

Character: El Diablo
Clan: Akai'Zhar
So I cannot be Samuel Jackson?

17:13 Dfgdfd has been banned due to being a stupid noob.
20:42 Lolgm has been banned due to being a asswhipe :S.

December 31, 2012, 09:51:45 PM
Newcomer

Meh :no:

January 05, 2013, 12:19:10 AM
Tester

Character: Zilvix
Is Phobos new WarZ wrote:
Meh :no:

What's with your name? That's incredibly insulting to Phobos considering WarZ was thrown together in a matter of months to get money from children.

January 05, 2013, 12:51:03 AM
Newcomer

My name's being dealt with, but please let's not go offtopic. I find rules to be a needed implement to the game but not necessarily a present, when I first read the topic's name I got excited but soon I discovered what it was about and got disappointed. Even wallpapers would've been better :P

January 05, 2013, 02:22:02 AM
Staff

Mad Dog wrote:
My name's being dealt with, but please let's not go offtopic. I find rules to be a needed implement to the game but not necessarily a present, when I first read the topic's name I got excited but soon I discovered what it was about and got disappointed. Even wallpapers would've been better :P
An understandable response. All I'll say is that some of the presents are bigger/smaller (more/less interesting) than others. This was of course one of the smaller ones.

January 05, 2013, 02:38:48 AM
Tester

Character: Neil
Rules look like a copy from a similar game, have they been thought through or simply copied? For an example of one that is kind of subjective 1.d - does this really matter and to what level? For example I could call my character Jerry Simons which could be a guitarist in some indie band, does that count? Who gets the yes or no say and once again, does it really matter? A lot seems very down to someone's perception on what could be considered fine and what is not fine, that goes for all of them.

Of course we need some rules but I feel the more rules there are the more people can exploit the rules to abuse other players, I've seen baiting and coercing happen like this before and that kind of behaviour in my opinion is worse than breaking the rules themselves.

I wouldn't want this to turn into the restrictive games that some others are, it should be about having fun plain and simple and not a power hungry restrictive set up. We need to get the balance right and sometimes too many rules are for the worse rather than for the good.

January 05, 2013, 03:28:38 AM
Staff

wreck713 wrote:
Rules look like a copy from a similar game, have they been thought through or simply copied? For an example of one that is kind of subjective 1.d - does this really matter and to what level? For example I could call my character Jerry Simons which could be a guitarist in some indie band, does that count? Who gets the yes or no say and once again, does it really matter? A lot seems very down to someone's perception on what could be considered fine and what is not fine, that goes for all of them.

Of course we need some rules but I feel the more rules there are the more people can exploit the rules to abuse other players, I've seen baiting and coercing happen like this before and that kind of behaviour in my opinion is worse than breaking the rules themselves.

I wouldn't want this to turn into the restrictive games that some others are, it should be about having fun plain and simple and not a power hungry restrictive set up. We need to get the balance right and sometimes too many rules are for the worse rather than for the good.
Rules are always going to be based on perception. Some people are offended by bad language, other people are offended by Justin Beiber. We will try to use common sense to try to decide how objectionable something is. On the (hopefully) few occasions that we get this wrong, I'm sure that you'll let us know. This doesn't mean that everybody needs to have a medieval fantasy-sounding name, it just means that players need to be sensible about it.

A lot of thought has gone into these rules. Remove "well known people" from rule 1.d. and you allow President Obama, remove "characters" and you allow Darth Vader, remove "groups" and you allow Newcastle United FC, etc, etc. Your example of the name Jerry Simons would be fine. Of course, I agree that there is a very large 'grey area'. But if in doubt, we won't force name changes.

As for any copying of rules from another game: I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I'm actually astonished that it's even been brought up. In answer, I'm just going to point out the naming policies used in the first three big MMOs which came into my head:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/gui ... ng-policy/
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy
http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

January 05, 2013, 05:10:09 AM
Tester

What?! Darth Vader can't be used!? NOOOOOOOO, IT'S IMPOSSSIBLEEEEEE!

Anyways, jokes aside, I have a question. In the last test server I chose the name "Axel" for my character (Which is also part of the nickname I'm using for my phobos forum account as you can see). There is, however, a staff member named Axel who I didn't know about at the time and my name was changed so as to avoid misunderstandment. My question is if any other nickname related to the name Axel or Rob or <insert staff member name here> would be banished from the game in the case of rule 1b or if there would be exceptions (The name I'm using for this account, for example).

January 05, 2013, 11:32:44 AM
Staff

Character: Till
As long as you don't name your character just "Axel" and/or try to impersonate him (i.e. claim to be him), any "Axel [insert surname here]" should be fine, as long as it is in accordance with the rest of the rules.

January 05, 2013, 11:47:50 AM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
More rules create more gray areas. I just hope when in doubt the guardians always benefit the players

January 05, 2013, 11:49:50 AM
Tester

Character: Neil
Rob wrote:
As for any copying of rules from another game: I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous. I'm actually astonished that it's even been brought up. In answer, I'm just going to point out the naming policies used in the first three big MMOs which came into my head:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/gui ... ng-policy/
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/naming-policy
http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/roc

Sorry didn't mean to upset you, just saying what I see and speaking from experience...

January 05, 2013, 05:22:23 PM
Tester

Character: John Dillinger
Would it be ok to use "John Dillinger" as a character's name?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dillinger

March 02, 2013, 03:50:22 AM
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood
If you hadn't made your previous post, I wouldn't have thought twice about it. No worries :) I'll do my best to forget that link ;)

March 02, 2013, 04:37:16 AM