Tester

Character: John Dillinger
Post Re: Teaser - The Forgotten Presents I
Thank you! :gangster:

March 02, 2013, 05:37:46 AM
Staff

Axel Fox wrote:
What?! Darth Vader can't be used!? NOOOOOOOO, IT'S IMPOSSSIBLEEEEEE!

Anyways, jokes aside, I have a question. In the last test server I chose the name "Axel" for my character (Which is also part of the nickname I'm using for my phobos forum account as you can see). There is, however, a staff member named Axel who I didn't know about at the time and my name was changed so as to avoid misunderstandment. My question is if any other nickname related to the name Axel or Rob or <insert staff member name here> would be banished from the game in the case of rule 1b or if there would be exceptions (The name I'm using for this account, for example).

Considering Axel is a very popular surname, naming your character that wouldn't be enough to trigger a name-change. But for example, Alenius which is a nickname and somewhat unique is not allowed.

"Do not look back and ask why, look forward and ask, why not."

March 03, 2013, 06:36:36 PM
Tester

Character: El Diablo
Clan: Akai'Zhar
Axel, though I agree to an extent. It should be illegal to name your character after a current staff member. It could lead to some problems down the road with name faking. No matter the common use of the name.

Sorry to the non-staff member Axel. As well, thanks to the staff member Axel for not having a problem with it. I just wanted to give my two cents.

17:13 Dfgdfd has been banned due to being a stupid noob.
20:42 Lolgm has been banned due to being a asswhipe :S.

March 03, 2013, 06:53:43 PM
Staff

Quote:
Considering Axel is a very popular surname, naming your character that wouldn't be enough to trigger a name-change. But for example, Alenius which is a nickname and somewhat unique is not allowed

Alenius is my last name, though. ;)

March 03, 2013, 08:53:11 PM
Staff

In general, we won't assume that players will know the names of the development staff. Of course, it's different if the player uses a name like "GM Timmy", or "Guardien Jane", or if they've just acting as if they're a staff member or Guardian.

March 03, 2013, 09:54:10 PM
Tester

You wouldn't have to know the staff members names if upon character creation. You would simply receive an error message saying it's a staff members name and that is why the name is being denied.

As I assume, if I name my character, "Asskicker," it would block my name for profanity reasons and not even allow me to create it. Just as Tibia would and many other games.

The same concept would apply for staff members names.

Edit: I see what you meant now with they wouldn't know the staff members names. While that is true, if a player is claiming to be staff member and has a similar name to one of the staff and requests that they look the name up it could become a problem still.

March 03, 2013, 10:22:18 PM
Staff

Indeed, this is why it's against the rules to actually impersonate a staff member or Guardian. If we suspect a player, or get reports that a player is pretending to be a staff member, then we'll of course look into it.

Guardians will be the only people with "Guardian" before their name (prevented by a filter when creating a new character), they have a special outfit and their messages will be highlighted in a different colour.

Don't give out your account details to anybody. We will never ask for them and it is against the rules to give them to anybody else. If in any doubt whether somebody is who they say they are, ask them to prove it. A Guardian will be happy to do so, a cheater will not.

March 03, 2013, 11:09:44 PM
Tester

Hah, fair enough in a simple setting. Though this game is for most all ages is it not? A child does not take much to convince. I'm just looking for that extra layer of safety game companies seem to loop around.

I won't fall for any of it so I'm content with the current rulings. I'm just looking out for people.

Thanks for the last few responses though!

March 03, 2013, 11:36:56 PM
Newcomer

and religious names?
like Jesus Christ.
this name can save me on pvp coz the minority of players will want to kill :oops:

March 04, 2013, 03:50:40 AM
Staff

Rules wrote:
Names which reference real life in the form of well known people, characters, locations, groups, establishments, trademarks, religions or any objects, names or titles which might be considered out of place as character names in Phobos’ medieval fantasy environment.
From the rules here.

So no, you wouldn't be able to name yourself Jesus Christ.

March 04, 2013, 11:54:54 AM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Rob wrote:
Rules wrote:
Names which reference real life in the form of well known people, characters, locations, groups, establishments, trademarks, religions or any objects, names or titles which might be considered out of place as character names in Phobos’ medieval fantasy environment.
From the rules here.

So no, you wouldn't be able to name yourself Jesus Christ.

I won't be able to repeat the name I used on the last test server, which can be seen on the left side of this post. :puke:

March 04, 2013, 06:38:57 PM
Tester

Character: Stinking Hippy
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Religion doesn't reference real life one bit xD

Walking dead :gangster:

March 04, 2013, 08:13:55 PM