It is currently October 17, 2017, 05:12:30 AM

Teaser - Clans & Organisations 
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood
Post Teaser - Clans & Organisations
Clans & Organisations

In addition to doing our regular jobs with spriting, programming, mapping, quest-writing or NPC-writing, we still have a few debates going on on our private development boards. Today we want to share one of the debates that we're soon to close, namely player self-organisation. Player self-organisation is a vital part of any MMO, and we plan to include two different ways to help you organise yourselves and your fellow players. Through either clans or organisations.

So, what is the difference? Well, the main difference is that clans will be exclusive, while organisations will not. This means that a character can only be member of one clan at a time, while it may be part of as many organisations the player wants. But that's just scratching the surface.

Clans
A clan is according to wikipedia "a group of people united by actual or perceived kinship and descent." In Phobos a clan can naturally not be based on kinship or descent, but it is still the strongest way of uniting players under a common banner. This is also why a character can only be a member of a single clan at a time. In addition to the list of features found further down that organisations and clans share, clans have access to our Diplomacy system, and may rent clanhalls which can be found in cities, towns and close to popular hunting areas.

Organisations
Again, according to wikipedia an organisation "is a social entity that has a collective goal and is linked to an external environment. The word is derived from the Greek word organon, itself derived from the better-known word ergon which means "organ" – a compartment for a particular task." Organisations in Phobos is a tool for players who wish to organise themselves for a certain purpose, but who don't want to leave their clan. This could be to organise a special event, or to work for a common goal in the long-term. Because of the non-exclusive nature of organisations they do not have access to the diplomacy tools clans have and they may not rent clanhalls.

Common feautures for clans and organisations
  • Homepage on the official website
    (With logo, description, blog/news, member list, diplomacy, statistics and private forum)
  • Bank account
  • In-game chat channel and 'notice board' for important messages

Riverview Manor, Yethil

Founding clans and organisations

The requirements for forming a clan or organisation will be basically the same. You need a founder, and a minimum of two co-founders. The founder and all the co-founders must have a Noble Account, and be at least a tier 2 class (Page or Apprentice). Together the founder and co-founders must approach the local clerk that will issue a clan or organisation charter, for a price of course.

Powers

In our system we have decided to let the clan or organisation decide for themselves how they want to divide their powers, whether it be the ability to add new members, manage the homepage, access the bank account, or even declare war. This means that any of the possible powers may be given to any rank within the clan or organisation. The only exception to this is the Founder status. The Founder status may only be held by one person at a time, and this status allows the player complete control over the clan or organisation.

Enora's Keep, Arferniel

Diplomacy

In our diplomacy system we differentiate between three levels of relationships between clans.

Neutral is the standard relationship between all clans.

Two or more clans may sign an Alliance treaty. The terms of an alliance may vary and each treaty is unique. The following terms are negotiable:
  • Length of treaty (can last from 1 day till unlimited)
  • Degree of cohesion
    • Request: When one alliance member is part of a war it may send a request to other alliance members to join in.
    • Required: Alliance members are automatically part of any war the other alliance members are a part of.

Alliances are allowed a common in-game chat channel and a private forum board.

War is the most drastic way of solving a dispute between two or more clans. A declaration of war must, however, be mutual before any action may be taken against either clan.

Of course, declaration of war or not, standard PvP rules will apply to all on PvP servers. But we want declaring war to unlock certain features which would make battling your enemies more... convenient. The exact features that will be included are still up for debate, so if there are any clan or alliance features not mentioned here that you would like to see in-game please feel free to leave your thoughts on this below.

Yours

February 25, 2013, 01:53:26 PM
Tester

Character: Bacjusz Merryeye
Clan: Starzy Wyjadacze
Post Re: Teaser - Clans & Organisations
I see that I made my guild thread in the Common Room might have forced You to make a teaser about the matter. I think that it mentions things that are relevant to every player that is going to join a group. I have no questions for now and I will remain silent until further notice.
Regards,
Bacjusz Merryeye

February 25, 2013, 02:30:17 PM
The Old Dwarf

No worries, this teaser was not forced but planned for a good while. Just good old coincidences :)

February 25, 2013, 02:34:58 PM
Tester

Character: Bacjusz Merryeye
Clan: Starzy Wyjadacze
Well I am glad to hear that. I might want to hasten Your work, but not in an intrusive way. Maybe the fine idea of mine was a sinister plot to overcome the world. Nevertheless, Good job!

February 25, 2013, 02:43:26 PM
Tester

Character: Celix
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Sounds likea great addition :) Will there be clan-chats in-game or anything like this (clan members-list like a friends-list?)?

February 25, 2013, 02:44:15 PM
The Old Dwarf

Quote:
    (With logo, description, blog/news, member list, diplomacy, statistics and private forum)
  • Bank account

In-game chat channel, yes :) There's also a friend list in-game. We haven't considered a separate clan member online list, no. Not before now anyways!

February 25, 2013, 02:50:16 PM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Seems you're giving a lot of thought into this system, I can already see it's going to be awesome!

But I have doubts:

* After the clan foundation, will it still be necessary that 3 people have noble account status?

* What happens if at any given moment of time, there are less than 3 people with noble account status. Is there a time in which they can renew before the clan is dissolved?

Last edited by Ricardo on February 25, 2013, 03:41:54 PM, edited 1 time in total.

February 25, 2013, 03:39:53 PM
Tester

I would like to have the ability to create an invisible organisation, so only invited/actual members could see it.

February 25, 2013, 03:41:39 PM
The Old Dwarf

Lenioo wrote:
I would like to have the ability to create an invisible organisation, so only invited/actual members could see it.

You will be able to hide the member list of organisations, but it will still be listed although only with a message saying that "the memberlist is hidden" or something.

February 25, 2013, 03:50:14 PM
The Old Dwarf

Kardaum wrote:
Seems you're giving a lot of thought into this system, I can already see it's going to be awesome!

But I have doubts:

* After the clan foundation, will it still be necessary that 3 people have noble account status?

* What happens if at any given moment of time, there are less than 3 people with noble account status. Is there a time in which they can renew before the clan is dissolved?

It will still be necessary to have at least 3 noble accounts in the clan that count towards keeping up that clan only. If there are less than 3 dedicated noble accounts the clan will become inactive. Meaning all benefits are removed, forums closed etc until the required noble accounts are accounted for. If it takes longer than a month all members will be removed from the clan, and it will have to be re-activated within a year. To do this the new founder must be an ex-member of the clan.

February 25, 2013, 04:06:13 PM
Tester

Character: Havy Glory
Clan: Brotherhood Ruthless
Torbjørn wrote:
minimum of two co-founders.

maximum of co-founders?

the war for kill alls on server?
It would be nice to have a prize for whoever wins the war
one clan win the war "hunted" all on server -.-

How many maximum members in a clan?

Guys i love organisations
good job.

February 25, 2013, 04:29:40 PM
The Old Dwarf

havy wrote:
Torbjørn wrote:
minimum of two co-founders.

maximum of co-founders?

Unlimited.

havy wrote:
How many maximum members in a clan?

Unlimited.

havy wrote:
Guys i love organisations
good job.

So do I, thank you :)

February 25, 2013, 04:33:04 PM
Tester

Character: Celix
Clan: Order of the Beetle
Torbjørn wrote:
Quote:
  • Bank account

In-game chat channel, yes :) There's also a friend list in-game. We haven't considered a separate clan member online list, no. Not before now anyways!

Oh, my bad for not reading carefully.

Well it would just be nice to be able to see who are in your clan and who is online without going to the website (faster and easier when you are in-game).

February 25, 2013, 04:43:30 PM
The Old Dwarf

We're planning on having as much as possible in-game so you wouldn't need to rely on the website for such things. We'll definitely keep it in mind :newsletter:

February 25, 2013, 04:48:22 PM
Staff

Character: Inconcessus
In light of the dynamic world, it would be great if the size and structure of a guildhall is allowed to increase over time. Depending on the wishes of the Guild and its members. Only if enough is paid for the expansion and renovation, that is. :P

I assume, Torbjørn and his beardy friends might want to construct a beer-cellar in their guildhalls basement. Implying it's not already there.

Great informative post. :yes:

February 25, 2013, 06:01:30 PM