It is currently June 22, 2017, 11:18:19 PM

Teaser - The Rental Market 
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood
Post Teaser - The Rental Market
The Rental Market

This time we would like to share another planned feature of Phobos: housing and the rental market. Everyone wants somewhere to sleep, right?

First off, why sleep?
When sleeping you will slowly regenerate you health and mana slowly until it is filled up, or you login. Also, Noble Account characters who have slept long enough to be 'fully rested' will get a "rested bonus". This means that your mana and health points will regenerate slightly faster than usual. Of course, this bonus will wear out after a while and regeneration will return to its normal state.

So, what can I rent?
Well, since all property belongs to the Crown no one else can really own anything. But since King Eirim is such a nice guy he lets the Nobility rent off of him.

Houses
In all towns and cities there are houses and flats which may be rented for a reasonable monthly fee to Noble Account players. Some houses and flats may have special benefits such as:
  • Hostel: Includes the possibility to sublet rooms or beds.
  • Merchant House: Includes the possibility to run a shop or bar.

Clanhalls
Clanhalls will work very much like houses, as many of them may function as hostels, and some may also be used as merchant houses as well. Of course, clanhalls may only be rented by clans.

Inns
Most inns have a selection of guest rooms or a dormitories available with beds which all players will be able to rent for the night. Simply pay a small fee to the innkeeper, depending on the length of your stay, and you will receive a key which allows you access to one of the rooms. You may also find that certain other NPCs with a free room or bed may also be persuaded to let you use it for a night. For a fee of course, or maybe a favour?

Short-term rentals
As the name suggests, these rentals are just for a few hours. Short-term rentals will be available for various public buildings and rooms, such as bars, market stalls, churches and temples, and even arenas and other halls. Short-term rentals will mainly serve for events and parties that you might not want to throw in your own house, but that you still want to keep some control over!

House for rent in Mirai

So, how does this work?

If you are interested in renting, you will simply have to approach the clerk in the area where you wish to rent and ask him what properties are available in the local area. A window will then open where you can browse through the vacant houses, clanhalls and short-term rentals.

For short-term rentals you will be able to choose to either rent the location immediately, or reserve it for a specified period of time in the future. For houses, flats and clanhalls you will have to initiate or join an auction.

Auctions
An auction will start the moment the first interested player makes a bid and lasts for 7 days. Any other player with enough money in their bank account may try to outbid others during an auction, and the player with the highest bid by the end will win.

Prices
The rent amount will be decided by certain factors, such as location, size and number of beds. The exact rent price will also fluctuate somewhat according to the changing market and nearby events. Exactly how this will work out is still not set in stone.

Flats at Central Market in Empo Sar

Special benefits

Hostels
As the owner of a clanhall or large house, you may be able to sublet beds out to other players. As the owner, this will mean that you are no longer able to access the subletted room, unless the subletter allows it. When single beds are subletted in a dormitory, the owner may move freely around the room, however only the subletter may use their bed and storage chest. A hostel-owner may rent out beds for a night at a time to any player, not just Nobles.

Merchant houses
Certain houses and clanhalls will allow you to open a shop or bar by hiring a shopkeeper/barkeeper NPC. You will be able to add items to the NPC's stock, set prices and even control whether your NPC will trade with anybody, or just certain individuals. These NPCs won't work for free of course, so be sure that you have some good stock before looking to hire one!

Thief's Court in Empo Sar

Moving & selling
At some point you might want to move out and sell your home for various reasons. This can be done by simply not paying rent for the next month, by selling it to another player directly, or even by putting it on the open market.

That's it for now, and I hope we'll see a healthy discussion in the thread below. Input is greatly appreciated!

Yours

April 12, 2013, 12:34:18 AM
Tester

Character: Sir Vitor
Post Re: Teaser - The Rental Market
Another teaser, awesome! This is better than I expected. Renting beds/rooms is quite interesting for the RPG aspect.

April 12, 2013, 12:53:01 AM
Tester

Character: Zilvix
Another teaser. :D

April 12, 2013, 01:08:12 AM
Tester

as everyone said another teaser of great importance to the game

April 12, 2013, 01:19:13 AM
Tester

So what happen if i kill someone with a key and he drops the key , i am going to be able to steal his room or he will get another key?

Btw , Merchant House is the best idea i ever heard , good job

April 12, 2013, 01:36:53 AM
Tester

would be interesting (however unfeasible) that at a certain point in the game (maybe in 1 year or less) the only ones who are the merchants of the cities players

probably because the players vain sell items cheaper than the npcs
npcs become obsolete

(my english is really bad)

April 12, 2013, 02:19:21 AM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
Very good teaser, glad to hear news after a somewhat "dry" period :afro:

Edit: Just how helpful was the house survey made back in 2010? :P

April 12, 2013, 02:24:40 AM
Tester

Character: Havy Glory
Clan: Brotherhood Ruthless
Good job, Rly awesome.
About animals in the house..
I can buy pigs?or sheeps? i can kill and use the food/wool?

April 12, 2013, 02:43:41 AM
Traveller

So cool.

April 12, 2013, 03:01:40 AM
Tester

Character: Jakrr
Clan: Brotherhood Ruthless
very interesting the system of sell itens with a help of an NPC
that's great

April 12, 2013, 03:15:50 AM
Tester

Character: Sareth
This system sounds so good! So much possibilities and ways to share something you "own" with others for a price or completely free.

Merchant house sounds like a good idea also. Depends on the price though whether it's good for a single rich player or group of friends/guild.

Simply awesome teaser and can't wait to play! :D

April 12, 2013, 08:01:25 AM
Tester

The special features are very interesting. I hope these shops have good locations. :P

You have earlier said that players are not locked to a single game world. How will this work with rentals or have you scrapped that idea?

When moving out/selling do you have to move your items first?

Great teaser!

April 12, 2013, 08:41:50 AM
The Old Dwarf

If you don't move out our items they will all be placed in your local storage box.

April 12, 2013, 09:33:45 AM
The Old Dwarf

Crowboomer wrote:
So what happen if i kill someone with a key and he drops the key , i am going to be able to steal his room or he will get another key?

There are no keys to lose. Problem solved :)

April 12, 2013, 09:34:57 AM
Tester

Character: Bacjusz Merryeye
Clan: Starzy Wyjadacze
I am impressed with the amount of detail and thought put into the development of housing. I only want to ask if the houses will change ovetime e.g. will the walls cover with mold and such if you don't open the windows :D. Or if you can rebuild parts of the house for a fee or even increase the size of the property, change the walls and roofs. For now it is clear to me that there will be a crazy bidding gauntlet in the early game. Nevertheless, I am very pleased with the news. Regards,
Bacjusz Merryeye

April 12, 2013, 11:26:50 AM