It is currently July 23, 2017, 07:39:34 AM

Rob's Diary - 10th June 2012 
Staff

Post Rob's Diary - 10th June 2012
Over the last few weeks I've been finishing off various legal documents along with a detailed guide of conduct and punishments for Guardians (GMs). This stuff wasn't included in the to do list, but is obviously very important nonetheless.

That said, I wouldn't mind getting some feedback from you all in terms of what you expect or would like to see in terms of punishments.

Specific punishments will depend on the rule and any previous violations, but to give you some idea about what is planned at the moment:
  • Name containing a full sentence - namelock
  • Cursing in public channel - verbal warning, temporary banishment if repeated
  • Racist statement - minimum 7 day account banishment
  • Ingame trades for real-life items - 28 day banishment
  • Use of third party software (e.g. cavebots, aimbots, macros) - permanent account banishment [zero tolerance]

Yours,

June 10, 2012, 11:52:30 AM
Tester

Post Re: Rob's Diary - April 30th 2012
Bug abuse, account trading, hacking? :!:

June 10, 2012, 12:23:49 PM
Staff

Character: Till
Post Re: Rob's Diary - June 10th 2012
Fixed the thread's title ;)

Hacking is covered by 3rd party software I'd say.

June 10, 2012, 12:24:38 PM
Staff

Thanks Till!

Xanobi wrote:
    Bug abuse - depends entirely on the bug (e.g. abusing a bug which crashes the server will get you a permanent banishment, whilst a bug which lets you fish faster might get you a 7 day banishment).
    Account trading - permanent account banishment
    Hacking - permanent account banishment (keep in mind that these are very difficult to prove)

June 10, 2012, 12:30:00 PM
Tester

Character: Celix
Clan: Order of the Beetle
What about spamming?

June 10, 2012, 01:31:53 PM
Staff

Spamming is a complicated one, which is why I didn't include it in the original post. But basically: If a player with a clean criminal record spams in a public channel, then they'll get a verbal warning. If that player then spams again, then they're going to get a 24 hour banishment. If they spam again after that, then they're going to get a 7 day banishment. Aaaand if they spam once again after that then they're going to get a 28 day banishment and a final warning (before permanent banishment).

Having said that, the Guardian will consider context and the player's criminal record in every case. Also, we are likely to be harsher with enforcing this rule in the first few days after release :wink: (those of you who have player previous test servers will know why).

June 10, 2012, 10:14:08 PM
Tester

What if i place a book my my mouse, or a keyboard key to do some action in the game, and im afk most of the time and only come back time to time will that count as a macro or third party software?

June 10, 2012, 11:07:40 PM
Tester

Character: Ricardo
It's important you prevent pedophilia and stalking. :moustache:

June 10, 2012, 11:13:50 PM
Staff

knight legend wrote:
What if i place a book my my mouse, or a keyboard key to do some action in the game, and im afk most of the time and only come back time to time will that count as a macro or third party software?

No. It will count as cheating if you automatize your "coming back time to time", though.

June 10, 2012, 11:46:29 PM
Tester

Till wrote:
knight legend wrote:

No. It will count as cheating if you automatize your "coming back time to time", though.

lets see this then, i come back every 20 mins so i dont get disconected from the server, but to not get kicked I move around for a very stort period of time, the problem is a GM in invisible near me, so when i stop moving i quicky go away, as soon i go away the gm check im using macro when im afk.

What about this?

June 11, 2012, 12:31:38 AM
Staff

So basically... you want to stand around AFK for hours? You know Phobos will be PvP, right? :P

A Guardian won't assume that you're using a macro just because you don't answer. But if a Guardian is watching you repeat these actions, messages you a few times, and a few seconds later you repeat the action, the Guardian will message you again, but if you still don't answer... then you're very likely going to get banished.

If you really want to go AFK, then all you have to do to not get banished is to check that there's not a Guardian on your screen, and that you haven't got any Guardian messages before you go AFK (we will make sure that these messages are obvious).

Basically, do yourself a favour and try not to look like you're cheating.

June 11, 2012, 01:46:04 AM
Tester

Character: Hylario
Clan: Ironfist
Rob wrote:

Basically, do yourself a favour and try not to look like you're cheating.

Rob teaching the world how to cheat ^^

What about power abuse from players?

June 11, 2012, 04:31:03 AM
Tester

Rob wrote:
Thanks Till!

Xanobi wrote:
    Bug abuse - depends entirely on the bug (e.g. abusing a bug which crashes the server will get you a permanent banishment, whilst a bug which lets you fish faster might get you a 7 day banishment).
    Account trading - permanent account banishment
    Hacking - permanent account banishment (keep in mind that these are very difficult to prove)

Is there any way to follow all the items in game? I know its kinda big deal but its what i liked most when played WoW. Never got hacked though but in case i had i didnt worry about lost items, just sayin.
Anyway who are those guardians that are going to keep the game clean? Im just curious because at tibia (im not comparing games its just an example) bad things happened when so called Gamemasters did "funny" stuff like banning everyone and shiet, any special punishment for them?

June 11, 2012, 08:40:46 AM
Staff

Hylario wrote:
[...]

Difficult topic. For the most part we think we have done a lot to reduce the potential for power abusing in our game significantly: level cap and a less punishing approach to death penalty are among those factors. Still, if it happens, punishment will solely depend on the guardian's perception of it. This is one of the reasons I want guardians to be dedicated to one server only and thus, be more involved in its community (in the hope they still stay objective).

Xanobi wrote:
Is there any way to follow all the items in game? I know its kinda big deal but its what i liked most when played WoW. Never got hacked though but in case i had i didnt worry about lost items, just sayin.

I'm unsure if I understood correctly. We are not planning on having soulbound items, at least it's an aspect of items we've never touched in discussions. Thus, getting hacked may still bear a high risk of losing your items, but should definitely be less harmful to your characters experience and skill progress.

Btw, all the information we are giving out here or somewhere else are always subject to change. We do not really want to change things we have already settled on, but sometimes it happens. I am not saying anything we said here was changed again already, but I felt like getting it out there.

June 11, 2012, 09:21:49 AM
Staff

Till wrote:
Hylario wrote:
[...]

Difficult topic. For the most part we think we have done a lot to reduce the potential for power abusing in our game significantly: level cap and a less punishing approach to death penalty are among those factors. Still, if it happens, punishment will solely depend on the guardian's perception of it. This is one of the reasons I want guardians to be dedicated to one server only and thus, be more involved in its community (in the hope they still stay objective).
I would just like to add that Guardians will never stop minor power abuse (for example, forcing somebody to leave a hunting area). But major and regular power abuse (e.g. by a leading guild) will be considered as "harassment" and so will earn you a visit from a Guardian.

Xanobi wrote:
Do you mean tracking where items go after being hacked?

Xanobi wrote:
Anyway who are those guardians that are going to keep the game clean? Im just curious because at tibia (im not comparing games its just an example) bad things happened when so called Gamemasters did "funny" stuff like banning everyone and shiet, any special punishment for them?
To begin with, staff members will fill the roles of Guardians. There will be certain restrictions in place in terms of what they can do, however. Guardians will have to fill out detailed reports on what happened and how they acted. It will be up to the Head Guardians to make sure that regular Guardians are doing their job properly and fairly.

A selection of these reports will be checked by Head Guardians every week (any reports which have caused player complaints will always be checked in this way). If several Guardian reports or complaints seem to suggest that a Guardian is abusing their position, then it will be up to the the Head Guardians to check this. Guardians who abuse their position will be dismissed.

Later on we will probably open up a Counsellor position for players. Through this position it may be possible to become a Guardian.

But as Till said, If this approach doesn't work well enough, then we'll modify it.

June 11, 2012, 11:27:27 AM