Post Re: Torbjørn's Diary 23.12.2012
That's good to know, I'll wait eagerly :like:

January 05, 2013, 02:17:14 AM
The Old Dwarf

Character: Mezur Stonecutter
Clan: Dwarfhood
Mad Dog wrote:
If it won't be at the release then what was this about? About in game npcs researching that stuff? I mean no disrespect, it was a good read and there's plenty of potential for quests and plotlines based on unknown mysteries of the dwarven but if books written in this language itself won't be present then there's not much new information in this teaser since this alphabet or similars have been in use a lot already, as mentioned.

First of all I'd like to point out that there will be books written in dwarvish in-game. The reason why I said it is not sure if it will be in by release have several explanations.

Creating a new language from scratch is a lot of work, and like most my jobs in this staff it is a long-term project. Which is also the reason I don't post many teasers or diaries like other staff members. The reason why I posted this is because I just finished developing the alphabet and wanted to share.at the time being I'm in the middle of creating the grammar. When that is done, I can start writing books in that language as well, and it can be used for storylines and quests. IF the game is released before I've done that, of course there won't be books in game at release.

Anyhow, there won't be much dwarves in-game at release either, so a dwarves language is not very much needed yet either.

Hope that roughly answers your questions :)

January 05, 2013, 04:42:55 PM
Newcomer

Thanks for the answer, I'm really looking forward to seeing what plotlines were developed already and I hope not to be a pain in the ass (although already being).

1st Please add dwarves, I love them (!!!) :D :D We'll need like 10 dwarven cities just to start with :twisted:

2nd Yeah, creating new languages is a difficult process that can take years, if you don't mind me suggesting there are several made up languages out there with complex grammar and rulesets if you feel like asking their creator permission to use them in here. Those would of course not be as good as creating a new one from scratch specially tailored for Phobos lore so I think we'll all understand if you opt not to. But even then, it'd save a lot of time just to use their grammatical basis and then create the words from scratch. But that's for you to decide. Which brings me to my initial problem: some of the runes might've been created specially for Phobos but the alphabet itself already existed, which meant people like me who already knew some of it (I learnt some by reading The Hobbit some years ago :twisted: ) got to read your diary without much problem. Which means the following phrase is not entirely justifiable :moustache:

Quote:
The reason why I posted this is because I just finished developing the alphabet and wanted to share.

But well, I'll stop being a pain in the ass now, there's more to lore than dwarven language and I'm sure you have other responsibilities to attend, as we all do. I haven't seen much of your work but I like what I've seen so far.

January 05, 2013, 09:53:43 PM